January 6, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

It's getting to that time of year again. Golden Globe nominations have been announced, leading to much speculation about Oscar nominations. It's that time of year where every year I sit down with a list and keep my eye on movies that I want to see because they're nominated. Last year I did manage to see all 5 Best Picture nominees, and many of the other nominated actors and actresses.

You see, I don't just like movies as a mindless escape. I'm also interested in what's new, what's good, and what's making history. So, I like to see movies that have won a lot of awards recently, or movies that have something new to offer, that new something that might effect movies for years to come, like Jurassic Park or The Matrix.

So, I saw that Slumdog Millionaire was coming to our local independent theater (yay, Pickford!), it was sort of in my peripheral mind as a 'maybe if I have time' kind of thing. Then, I read this post over at Immoral Matriarch Etc.. And I checked the listings and thought of 2 openings I could fit it in, then convinced my sister to go see it with me during one fo them. See, it's one thing to know something like that a movie is nominated for an Oscar. But it's a whole other ballgame when you also hear an opinion from someone you really trust, and it's that good.

Slumdog Millionaire is the story of a man competing on the Indian "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?". The movie goes back and fort between the game show and the memories of his life as a little boy growing up in the slums of India. With each question comes a memory, and with each memory a heartbreaking and beautifully woven short tale of the trials, horrors, and moments of pure hapiness in that kind of life.

The story is beautifully put together, if at times difficult to watch. The realities of life in the slums- what looks to us like a horrific place, but to these people is just everyday life - is hard to bear. The story is at times a bit magical - perhaps it is written, perhaps it is destiny.

I would recommend this movie very highly. It certainly will provide a more uplifting message than any of the other nominated flicks, and to tell the truth the child actors in this movie are just adorable to look at. SEE IT!

No comments: