January 30, 2009

Points and Corners

Haiku Friday

My son, he has these
supernaturally sharp
body parts on him

He climbs up (when did
I become a jungle gym?)
knees digging in hard

He rides on shoulders
hands make mommy a chin strap
as his chin drills down

Cuddling on the couch
he shifts, supports himself on
elbows like ice picks

When did my squirmy
cuddly little guy become
all points and corners?

Seriously people. When we're playing or wrestling and he puts all his weight on one of his extremely pointy elbows, grinding it into me? It makes me feel like he is literally drilling a hole in my skin! He inherited the pointy chin from his Daddy - sometimes when we're hugging if Justin puts his head on my shoulder I have to make him move it because his chin will dig into me so much.

Sam got some new clothes while we were on vacation. They're 3T and the FIT HIM. How did this happen? How is he going to be three years old in only three months? I just can't believe how much he's grown!

Right now we're in the midst of Operation Big Boy Bed, although I have to tell you it's been pretty uneventful so far! We got back on Friday, and were so tired that he and I crashed in Justin's and my room. The next 2 nights we put him to bed in his bed and waited until he fell asleep before leaving. Since then, we've read some books and then put off the light and told him it was bedtime and left him in there to fall asleep on his own. And it's been fine! He doesn't get up (so far) and cries for like a minute then stops. It's awesome. One day he got up in the morning, but today Justin told me he woke up, turned on his music (he knows how to push play and adjust the volume on his CD player now) and then lay in his bed and hung out until Justin went in and got him. How cute!

So, we're keeping our fingers crossed it will continue to be an uneventful transition! He's also been really good about waking up in the night and soothing himself back to sleep, so Justin and I have been able to get good nights of sleep as well!

For more Haiku Friday participants, click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute haiku! It's funny how that happens, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Oh how well I know about pokey kids. Both of my kids are boney little people who seem to be able to find the softest spot to stick their boney elbows.
Good to hear that the big boy bed transition is going well!

Tink *~*~* said...

Good luck with Operation Big Boy Bed! He should be suitably impressed with himself such that he won't want to make any mistakes, so there should not be any incidents.

Doo, doo, doo, lookin’ out my back door at the SKY!

Tink *~*~*

Anonymous said...

When I first started my blog, my son's nickname was BamBam. He's so rough on everything...and my skin has the bruises to prove it.

Great haiku :)

Tumblewords: said...

Laughing. It happens overnight. Good haiku...