January 8, 2009

FINALLY

Went and got the results of my labwork today.

1. PCOS
2. High testosterone (because of PCOS)
3. Hypothyroidism (levels are double normal)
4. Insulin Resistance
5. Vitamin D Insufficiency

I literally almost burst into tears on the way to my car because I had a diagnosis, and some kind of answers.

She referred me to an endocrinologist to get on thyroid meds. She said that once I'm on those, and taking Vitamin D supplements, I will feel WAY better, not be so tired all the time etc. AND if I get stable, it might help me to lose weight, and will help with my depression issues.

I am happy to have learned all of this, but am also sad because I know that PCOS can make it very hard to lose weight even with diet and exercise, and that makes me scared. But I'm going to focus on the good - that it's not just my imagination, that the doctor FINALLY found some results, and that I am hopefully on the road to getting more healthy and stable.

2 comments:

Kori said...

I dont' know what PCOS is, but the rest seems like "good news." I think it is a GOOD cycle, that once you start to FEEL better physycally and mentally, the easier it is to become more active, which in turn makes you feel better....far, far better, too, to have a diagnosis-the nyou have something to work with!

Trish said...

Yes, PCOS makes it harder to lose weight, but you CAN do it. I managed to lose about 20lbs this past year, mostly because I watched my calorie intake like hawk, for while, and worked out like a mad woman. I've since fallen off the wagon a bit, but trust me, it IS possible.

I've got the whole list of symptoms, too ... high testosterone, insulin resistance, skin tags, weight gain ... I live with the fear of never being able to have kids, developing diabetes, and developing endometrial cancer. Honestly, it terrifies me.

But I agree with what Kori said: once you get into "feel good" mode, it will be much easier to be active and work towards your goal. Sometimes it just takes a little boost.

If you're looking to do some reading on it or something, I'd suggest A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It's very good and helpful.