February 23, 2012

Friday Fragments: Nails, Politicians, TV & Funnies

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

This week I've got some fragments and some pictures I've found on the internet that made me laugh and love the internet!

*****

Last week I got fake (acrylic) nails.  Yeah... I have only had them one other time, for my wedding.   I recently decided I wanted to try them out again because I really want to have square nails and I just can't get my nails to stay in that shape.  I did it once, in December.  And they were perfect.  For about 20 hours, until one broke and I was back to square one.  I've had them for a little over a week actually, and I'm getting used to them.  I have been really into nail polish lately and I started a new blog, Nail Me, to post about it... it's a little crazy, but I have so much fun with it.  It's a fun way to dress up without having to spend a bunch of money on new clothes etc.

Here is a little peek of what's over there today - my first Water Marble.  I LOVE IT.


*****

The day before Valentine's Day, Washington Governor Christine Gregoire signed legislation that will make it legal for gay couples to marry in Washington State come this June.  I am so proud of Washington for finally doing this.  We're not the first, but we're far from the last.  Even after 10 days, I still choke up when I think about it.  I think of my friends who are gay, and the fact that they have not been afforded the same rights that I have, and I am so, so happy that they will finally get what they deserve.

*****

Engagement Ring WIN - More than meets the eye!

epic win photos - Engagement Ring WIN
see more WIN - Epic Win Photos and Videos

*****

So, Danny is 21 months old now, and we have taught him a couple of signs.  He still doesn't really talk, he just has a few words (cat, car, dog) that he'll say, but I'm not sure anyone else can understand them.  A couple of weeks ago we noticed that he had started doing this sign where he would pat his left arm near his wrist with his right hand.  I asked my Mom if she'd taught it to him and she said no, and we finally realized he made up his own sign!  It basically means 'I don't like this' or 'I don't want to.'  It is so fascinating to watch them grow and learn!

*****

Because when I hear WWF, I ALWAYS get confused like this.

epic win photos - WWF WIN
see more WIN - Epic Win Photos and Videos

*****

Last month for my book club, we read Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.  The first half of the story didn't really pull me in, but once I hit the second half?  Woo boy!  I loved it, despite the fact that I was crying through most of it.  I'm pretty sure the last time I cried that much was at the end of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, and if you've read that one, you know why.  So I decided I need to read way more Kristin Hannah books.  I just finished Night Road, which I really liked.  I need to get started on my book club book, but sometimes I get in the mood for one author and I just go on a streak.  I think I'll read Firefly Lane next.

*****

FLASH drive!

 epic win photos - Flash Drive WIN
see more WIN - Epic Win Photos and Videos

*****

Let's talk TV for a minute... I feel like I want to write a separate post about this week's Glee and Parenthood episodes, since I watched them right in a row then kind of wanted to assume the fetal position.  Did anyone else watch The River?  I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I totally loved the first!  It was so freaking scary though - those scenes with the dolls?  Just... no.  So creepy!  I liked how they revealed so much in the beginning - what the explorer guy was actually searching for/doing out there - and didn't drag it out.  I also watched the first episode of Awake, and I really liked it.  Plus it has Jason Isaacs and BD Wong, both of whom I really like!  And finally, this week was the first part of the finale of the greatly underwhelming Top Chef Texas.  I really, really want Paul to win.

*****

You guys, Bakerella is a freaking genius. SO CUTE!



*****

Did you hear that some crazy-ass politician in Indiana decided to rail against the Girl Scouts because of his opinion that they are promoter and supporters of Planned Parenthood?  Also, Rick Santorum talked about Satan, and I tried to figure out how it is even possible that he is an actual candidate.

*****

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

7 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I like Kristin Hannah books too; read both WINTER GARDEN and NIGHT ROAD.  I think the other one I read was MAGIC HOUR that I liked as well.  Know what you mean about WINTER GARDEN. 

Diane@BeStillAMinute said...

I've read a few Hannah's books too.  I have one now I bought at a thrift store a few weeks ago I haven't read yet, "On Mystic Lake".  

I used to have the fake nails but they just got to be too much to keep up for me.  

Andrea Sunny said...

I love the WWF t-shirt. He he, that's funny. Isn't it amazing what little kids can learn? I'm always surprised by how fast they pick things up.

I have to ask. The nail polish, did it just go on that way or did you make it all marbled? Because if my 5 yr old sees that, she's going to want it, and I admit, thats pretty cool.

Happy friday!

tettelestai said...

I love the ring and the WWF shirt!!!  Those are great pictures!!

We taught sign to the kids also, mine are very late speakers.  It's pretty cute that he came up with his own.  I think I need that one "no, I don't want it."  hahahahaha

Profwaynewsmith said...

I love that WWF top. Where does one get one of those?

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm lovin' your nails.

I go every two or three weeks and get a "sculpted" acrylic refill and new polish.  I LOVE it.  They last the entire time between visits and my real nails are under there.

They also do "gels" which  I have heard are even better, but they also cost more.

I haven't had the sculpted acrylic off my nails in over 8 years.

It is my "gift" to myself for NEVER starting smoking!  ;-)

tracismixedbag said...

I love the WWF shirt. Awesome! It's a slow process but thank God it's happening. Yay! Washington. I'm a Christian and pretty moderate, middle of the road politically and I think Rick Santorum is crazy. What's happening is the people who are Christian are not going to vote for Mitt Romney because he's Mormon so who will they vote for? Yep, you guessed it. That's probably why he's a candidate. That and Newt Gingrich is a major womanizer, well he got caught. More reasons why I hate politics.