January 8, 2009

A New Goal for 09: Bible Verse Memorization

I learned through Betty at Keeper of the Skies Wife that Beth at Be Still Beth is sort of hosting a small group for people interested in memorizing 24 bible verses in 2009. I'm fairly new to Christianity, and I have been meaning to get into some kind of bible study for a while. I love the time I spend with my small group at my home church in Seattle, and am hopefully going to get into another one closer to home. One of my personal goals for 2009 was to read more of the bible, and I think this will be a fun way to put some thought into some of the ideas I find there.

The way it will work (from Beth's blog):

1) Get your notecards.
2) On the 1st and 15th of each month we will all pick a new scripture. Everyone's may be different and some of us may pick the same one. Doesn't matter, just whatever you feel led to memorize and meditate on. By the way, if you haven't started and still want to, jump on the wagon. Its only Jan 3rd, you have plenty of time to learn a verse by Jan.15th.
3)Post on my blog the scripture you are going to memorize.
4) On the 15th we can post our new scripture and tell how we did with our first one. During the month if you are having problems or you are so excited because of what you are learning, post about it.
5) I find it really good to pray the scripture back to the Lord as well. It is His word and so if we pray His word to Him, He is delighted.
6) I have a friend that lives in another state and she and one of her friends have been meeting on a regular basis since around 2000 to do scripture memorization. They help each other. So, if you have someone close or someone to talk to on the phone that would like to join you, that would be a great way to learn as well.
7)This is simply an avenue of accountability for each of us.

So, I've chosen my first scripture, for Jan 1. It is:

James 1:22

Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

I've also written down in my notebook James 1:23-24 to keep with it and MAYBE memorize.

For if anyone is not a doer, he is like a man observing his face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he is.

The basics? Don't just SAY you're a Christian. Act like one. I will continue to post the scriptures I choose and my thoughts on them!

If you're interested, check out the instructions here and here.

2 comments:

Mama Wheaton said...

What a great goal, good luck to you!

Mimi said...

I think I'll join you!