January 27, 2009

Heads or Tails: Quieting My Brain!

This week's theme for Heads or Tails Tuesday is "Loud". Well, the one thing that's really loud here right now is MAH BRAIN! I got back from 'vacation' on Friday needing a vacation from my vacation, and have all these thoughts screaming and rolling and running around inside my head. So, this is my chance to quiet the thoughts by dumping them out here! Without further ado, here's what I've been thinking about...
  • I saw several commercials for 'Madea Goes to Jail', the new Tyler Perry movie. I don't get it. I just don't understand the appeal of these movies at all. I am not trying to sound ignorant, and DEFINITELY not racist, but is it because I'm white?
  • Is there a moment more hopeless than the moment when you are sitting in an airport hallway with your two and a half year old son screaming and crying on the floor as you sit nearby and cry because you just can't hold it in anymore and you don't know how you're going to be able to physically get him to the gate or onto the plane?
  • How does my body do it? As soon as I got back from vacation, 24 hours passed and I was overtaken by a virus that kept me layered under 5 layers of fleece blanket and clothing on my couch shivering. And during the whole thing I was miserable, but also thanking God it didn't happen while I was on vacation.
  • Speaking of which, I realized that I sounded completely ridiculous trying to describe my illness to my husband including the following: "I feel like I'm shivering inside my skin", "I'm cold, but I can feel that my hands aren't cold, but they FEEL cold", and "My muscles need to move". I wonder if they're the same things he feels when he's sick, but he would describe them totally differently?
  • Is there a moment more terrifying than looking in the backseat to see your two and a half year old son barfing up absolutely everything he's eaten and drunk that day ON THE WAY TO THE AIRPORT? Where you will be traveling on planes for 7 hours? Luckily, the flights home went very well, and there was NO barfing on the planes or anything.
  • We are currently undergoing Operation Big Boy Bed. While I was on vacation, the bed arrived, and Justin put it together & into Sam's room. The first night home, I was so exhausted that he slept in our bed. The second and third nights, he slept in his Big Boy Bed (twin) after Justin read to him then stayed in there until he fell asleep. The fourth night (last night) I read him stories in the bed, then told him it was time for me to go. He whined a little, but FELL ASLEEP IN HIS NEW BED. Without crying for more than 2 minutes. Without getting up. Awesome! Knock on wood.
  • This is to be expected, but I am totally enamoured with the Obamas. I loved Michelle's dress at the inauguration, and those little girls are just adorable. I am waiting to see how long it will be before I feel giddy at the sound of President Obama's voice.
  • I bought a container of cut watermelon at the store because it looked so red and juicy. It cost $8. It was totally worth it.
Okay I feel better now. To read more Heads or Tails Tuesday posts, click here!

11 comments:

Chris said...

Yay for no barfing on the plane & yay for the big boy bed.

BTW, I don't get those Madea movies either.

Barb said...

I don't understand the appeal of those movies, either.

I'm sorry about you and your son being sick. Hopefully it has passed by now!

Nah.. I don't think men think the way we do. :P

Hurray for big boy beds!!! That's a big milestone.

$8 for watermelon? Holy cow. I bet it DID taste good, though. Anything "summer" tastes better in winter.

Anonymous said...

Been there done that with the watermelon, and the sick kid. Hope everyone there is feeling better now.

Cynthia said...

I'll tell you what, you are much braver then I. No way you could get me on a plane with my toddlers! They are impossible...

Unknown said...

I am so sorry you got sick! That's just icky.
I hope the Big Boy Bed transition continues to run smoothly...

Megan R. said...

Oh, I would have been TERRIFIED about the barfing!! I don't think I would have even made it to the airport! I would have hauled it right back where I came from!

Daisy said...

Oh, I feel for you! Travel with a 2 is never easy, but you just got whammed. I hope you're feeling better soon, too. Sounds just miserable!

Tumblewords: said...

Big boy beds are great, barfing not so much. Good post!

Patsy said...

Wonderful recount of the vaction that was rattleing around in your head.

Good luck with the *big boy bed*. Sounds like he is well on his way to staying put.

Heather said...

Your big boy bed transition went much better than mine.

Hope you are feeling better!

Kimberly said...

I cry at EVERY movie I see in the movie theater. Something about the popcorn, I think.

We almost saw Hotel for Dogs this weekend but with all we went through with Lil, we went for Bride Wars. And guess what? I cried in that one too.

Thanks for your kindness. xo