January 2, 2009

Haiku Friday: I did it!

Haiku Friday

Guess what? I made a
goal earlier this year, a
big one, I thought then.

There were a few times
I wasn't sure I would make
it, thought I'd failed it

But I got back up
on that horse, and started to
read again, for fun

And guess what happened?
I made it! I managed to
read fifty whole books!

Well, there WERE definitely a couple of times when I was not sure that I was going to make it - but then I'd pick up something that would totally rivet me and I'd just read and read until it was done! Here's the final list - books I've read in 2008, with the most recently read at the bottom of the list. My goal was to read 50 books this year, and I made it!
  • Non-fiction books are in blue.
  • My favorites are in bold.
  • Books I read for book club are in italics
  1. Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing Up Groovy and Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman
  2. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer
  3. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (re-read)
  4. The Lost World by Michael Crichton(re-read)
  5. Life Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
  6. The Secret Lives of the Sushi Club by Christy Yorke
  7. The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian
  8. The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
  9. A Star Is Found: Our Adventures Casting Some of Hollywood's Biggest Movies by Janet Hirshenson & Jane Jenkins
  10. Alosha by Christopher Pike
  11. A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery by Christina Adams
  12. Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
  13. The Shaktra by Christopher Pike
  14. The Yanti by Christopher Pike
  15. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Nifenegger
  16. Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella
  17. Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  18. Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain (didn't finish)
  19. The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout
  20. The Harlequin by Laurell K Hamilton
  21. My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki
  22. Blood Noir by Laurell K Hamilton
  23. Marked by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
  24. Rockabye by Rebecca Woolf (author of the blog Girls Gone Child)
  25. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
  26. A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
  27. Betrayed by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
  28. Chosen by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
  29. Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
  30. Accidentally Dead by Dakota Cassidy
  31. Letters to a Bullied Girl by Olivia Gardner with Emily & Sarah Buder
  32. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  33. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  34. Untamed by P.C. & Kristin Cast
  35. The Host by Stephanie Meyer
  36. The Beach by Alex Garland
  37. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
  38. The Kid by Dan Savage
  39. A Lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton
  40. Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K Hamilton
  41. The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
  42. The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau
  43. The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs by Denise Brodey
  44. Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year by Esme Codell
  45. The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events book 11)
  46. The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events book 12)
  47. The End by Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events book 13)
  48. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
  49. Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris
  50. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain (I'm not sure when I started this or if it was even this year, but I just finished it)

No comments: