December 23, 2008

Yes Man

A comedy. With Jim Carrey. Usually, it's a pretty good combination, so why not. I thought this movie looked pretty good from the previews.

While I found the movie to be quite enjoyable, I thought it was less funny than the previews made it out to be. It was a comedy for sure, but instead of being one of those joke-a-minute comedies (although at times it was), it was a comedy with a message. It's not slapstick, and it's not always immediately obvious, but in the end it's more fulfilling. Comedy characters with a story and a little depth.

I find Jim Carrey fascinating. As he gets older, and takes on different roles than just the straight up crazy-ass comedy, he gains a depth that only seems to come with age and experience. In this movie, the character played by Jim Carrey is really a profoundly sad and fearful individual in the begining. Carrey has it in the eyes. He plays crazy well, of course - the scene where his character has OD'd on Red Bull after an all-nighter at clubs. But he also plays feeling, plays the man who realizes how much life he has missed out on, and that there is not always an easy fix.

I also find him as an individual to be quite interesting. Since I've read two of Jenny McCarthy's books, and subscribe to US Magazine, I know a little about his relationship with her and her autistic son. We've seen him in some great roles - Man on the Moon was especially memorable. I am really looking forward to seeing him in even more interesting roles in the future. How far we've come from "The Mask" and "Ace Ventura".

Zooey Deschanel was also quite adorable as the love interest to Carrey in this movie. I have come to really like her over the past year or so, she is gorgeous, and plays the quirky but extremely likeable girl very well. I loved her as the teacher in "Bridge to Terabithia".

I thought this movie was great. It was interesting and funny, and it delivered what it promised. Always refreshing. If you just want a care free story that will make you laugh and feel good, this is perfect for watching to stay in a happy Holiday mood.

No comments: