December 11, 2008

Mid-season Reviews: Old Favorites

Today it's time to talk about what's going on with the old favorites. The comfortable, sweatshirts of shows that I've been watching for however long. I must contemplate how I've felt about them this year!

Grey's Anatomy - I love Grey's Anatomy. I absolutely love it. I am a sucker for the shows that make me cry and pull my heart out while also making me laugh and enjoy the stories. Hence my love of Gilmore Girls, and all things Joss Whedon. This season, there have been some things I like. For instance, McJourneyman. How hot is Kevin McKidd? As an angry doctor? Seriously. He and Sandra Oh... they're the couple of the season. I was disappointed by the sudden departure of Brooke Smith's character, butI do believe that it wasn't about her being a lesbian, and I hope they'll do something interesting with Callie. Although I REALLY hope that it doesn't have anything to do with Melissa George - annoying new intern. I didn't like her on Alias, and I don't much like her here. As much as I absolutely love Jeffrey Dean Morgan, I have a little bit been hating the Dead Denny Ghost Sex storyline. Okay, I admit it. I read a spoiler. Click here if you want it. And it makes me really happy/relieved. Because if they were going to try and make him be 'real', I was going to be pissed. This isn't Ghost Whisperer. The only other complaint that I have this season was the whole interns doing surgery on each other storyline. I mean, really? How completely idiotic could you be? And I don't believe that those interns would have been just given a tiny slap on the wrist and allowed to continue. No way. But I still heart you, Grey's.

House - Seriously, how freaking glad am I that that private eye character hasn't been on in a few weeks?! I hope to heck that they got rid of him. I wasn't digging that storyline. You know what I do like though? The House and Cuddy thing. I love watching House struggle agains being himself for something else. I also love Kal Penn. So, I'm happy!

Law & Order - I did not go into this season enthusiastically. I watched Six Feet Under and Jeremy Sisto was given the creep vibe by that show for me. So every time I see him I'm kinda like... eww. But, I've found that I am actually enjoying him on Law & Order! And Anthony Anderson is much better than I expected. I've also come to like the two lawyers, and Jack McCoy as the DA. It's just a nice change after so many years. They're still pulling cases from the headlines, and my husband and I are still competing to see who figures it out first!

Law & Order: SVU - The first half of the season hasn't impressed me that much so far, although I liked this week's episode. I don't know... I feel like maybe something needs to change or get shaken up a little bit. Maybe bring in a third partner to alternate with Elliot and Olivia? It's just so much the same. Olivia lets things get too personal. Elliot gets mad and goes over the line. I'll keep watching, because I find the cases entertaining, but there's nothing new or special going on here.

Private Practice - I'm sorta so/so on this one. I like it. But it's SO SERIOUS all the time! It's just a little bit heavy handed. And Addison is smug. Yet, I can't stop watching because I love Del. And Taye Diggs. And stories about crazy shit like people who are married to their secret brother.

Samantha Who - I'm still really enjoying Samantha Who. Christina Applegate is just so great as Samantha. She play the innocence of amnesia and the sadness of remembering certain things and the cluelessness just so well! I also really enjoy Jennifer Esposito as her best friend, who is still the kind of person Samantha used to be. If you haven't been watching this show, it's one to pick up. It's funny, it's cute, it's touching. Love it!

Heroes - So, here's the thing... I'm not exactly caught up with Heroes this season. In fact, I'm pretty behind. Like 5 episodes behind. So I can't really say much about it. From what I've watched so far, I'm liking it. I'm not sure about this whole Sylar thing, but anything could change at any moment with this show! I'll post an updated review when I get caught up - that's the great thing about the Christmas hiatus! Time to catch up on shows I've fallen behind on (Heroes & True Blood marathons coming right up!).

Criminal Minds - I don't know why I love this show, but I do. It's the profiling. I get really drawn into that kind of stuff, and I've liked the storyline this season with Dr. Reid and his parents, and trying to figure out the mystery behind his childhood memories. One thing I like about Criminal Minds is that they mix in a pretty good amount of personal backstories, but for the most part they stick to one or two at a time, which makes it easy to keep track of what's going on.

Eli Stone - I can hardly believe Eli Stone is almost over. I'm actually watching the latest episode now as I type this. This is one of the most original and interesting shows on TV, and it has everything. It's serious, but it also has it's funny moments, and I just can't tell you how much I love the visions and the singing. Victor Garber singing? Seriously! How much do I love it. Johnny Lee Miller is just great in this, and the whole cast works wonderfully together. If you haven't watched it, you should make sure to check it out on DVD once it's all wrapped up.

ER - Well, ER is definitely going out on a high note. I feel like they managed somehow to breathe life into the show and let it go out well instead of just fizzling and dying. I've enjoyed the flashbacks and guest appearances - I was pleased with how they brought Anthony Edwards back in the episode about Angela Basset's son, and I thought it was an incredibly excellent episode. Despite the fact that I've been watching for thirteen odd years, I am still a tinge sad to see it go, but it really is time.

Ugly Betty - I'm still enjoying Ugly Betty, although I really feel like if someone worked at a fashion magazine for several years that they would start dressing just a little differently and maybe doing their hair sometimes and... well, you know what I mean. I've enjoyed the developing relationships between Betty, Amanda & Mark. I like that they're developing the Justin character more. Most of all I just like the show in general.

Come back tomorrow for the latest about what's coming up in January and some schedule changes you'll want to keep in mind.

No comments: