December 19, 2008

Haiku Friday: Friends

Haiku Friday

Last night, dinner with
new friends, husband and wife and
little boy Sam's age

I met her when we
moved back home, she leads my play
group and so much more

She is amazing,
truly one of the most kind
people I have met

Now she watches Sam
one or two days a week, and
he really likes her

Her husband and mine
get along just great, we all
have fun together

I see a long road
a future of moments we'll
share, lasting friendship

Isn't it great to make new friends? I met Amy when we moved back home to Bellingham. She's the leader of the Moms group that I belong to, and I noticed right away that we have a lot in common. I noticed how she was always in a good mood and how much I liked her. In October she started watching Sam one day a week, and now depending on Justin's work schedule she might start watching him two days a week soon. We've had dinner with them three times now, and we always have a great time sitting around laughing, talking and eating while our boys play (hers is named Sam too!). It's been great to have another couple to hang out with, and it's wonderful to make this kind of friend - the kind that you keep for a long time. The kind that you get to know really well, that you have things in common with, that you are comfortable with and grow with.

I've also been enjoying watching Sam with his friends lately. At 2 1/2 he is finally at a place where he is actually playing with other kids. He plays with his 'aunt' Maggie, his friend Ty, and his friend Sam. He's at the age where I actually feel like he's starting to have his own friends. And it's amazing. Last night I watched he and the other Sam climb up into an armchair and sit next to each other. And I started to think about how this could be the start of a friendship he might carry into teenhood or adulthood. We don't plan to leave Bellingham, we planned to settle here, in our hometown and Sam will grow up here. And I can't wait.

To read more Friday Haikus, click here!

5 comments:

Wife to Mark, Mother to TWO!! said...

Rachael! I feel the same way you do! You guys are so awesome and we always have such a wonderful time together! I really can't wait to hang out again soon! And, you know, even though Mark doesn't say very much...he does truly like hanging out with you guys, too... :)

I'm so thankful that our Sam's get along so well, too! And that was such a precious moment tonight with them climbing in the chair together...they are too cute!!! I truly hope that we stay in Bellingham and settle down...seriously...that would be awesome! Then they really could grow up together!

Thanks for coming over tonight and hanging out!! I love you guys so much and definitely treasure the friendship tremendously! You're pretty amazing!

Phyllis Sommer said...

isn't that great when you can find a new and trusted friend? what a great feeling of security, too.

Mimi said...

I love it when the little ones really start to come into their own. My boys are so big now, I miss those days!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

sounds like a great friendship!

Anonymous said...

Yay for friends, old and new. We can never have enough. I'm so glad that you all landed in each other's lives.