December 5, 2008

Haiku Friday: 26 Questions for Christmas

Haiku Friday

I got this Christmas Questionnaire in e-mail from my friend Amy, and decided to put it up on the blog since I'm feeling in the holiday spirit right now. For an extra challenge, I'll give all of my answers in Haiku form.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

I prefer gift bags,
sometimes cloth you can re-use
except for the kids:

Sometimes I use a
paper bag or newspaper
to watch them rip it!

2. Real tree or Artificial?

I loved real trees as
a kid, but now that I'm grown
fakes are less messy!

As long as we are
in rentals two cats and
a two year old, fake!

3. When do you put up the tree?

This year we're lazy
No tree yet, but usually
first two weeks of month.

4. When do you take the tree down?

I don't take it down
isn't that my husband's job?
Just kidding... sort of

We leave it up til
we feel like taking it down
maybe New Years Day

5. Do you like eggnog?

I buy it for my
husband, but I despise it
so thick and yucky.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

So hard to recall
I remember cabbage patch
dolls, bows and arrows

cd players and
posters, barbie dolls, gift cards
hard to pick just one!

7. Hardest person to buy for?

In my life, I've found
Men are most difficult to
pick and choose gifts for

Especially when
you ask what they want and all
they say - I don't know.

That is not helpful
I'm sorry to inform them,
but it's just a fact.

8. Easiest person to buy for?

My buddy Violet
our minds are one wavelength
I know what she likes!

9. Do you have a nativity scene?

Not anymore, we
had one I loved, it was so
simple, mom, dad, son

It was all one piece
and as is life with cats, it
was broken one day.

Would love to get a
new one, but baby Jesus
must not be too white

I love the ones they
have now made of Olive wood
so, maybe next year

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?

We have always been
on the ball, mailing cards and
letters, not this year

Buying cards, paper
and copies of photos is
too expensive now

So, we will split it
E-mail and online greetings
to those who can get

Cards will be reserved
for anyone who is not
savvy with servers.

11 .Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

This is a hard one!
Decorations for my house
in a style I hate!

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?

If you're gonna eat
like an animal, take your
food out to the barn.

Prancer! The story
of a reindeer who falls, saves
Christmas for a girl.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Normally, I try
to start really early and
maybe be done by

end of November
middle of December. But
this year I'm behind!

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

I'm sure I have, with
gift exchanges and secret
Santas, it's the way!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Oh my gosh, that is
a really hard question. Um...
fudge and pecan pie!

16. Lights on the tree?

Of course lights on tree!
Lights on houses, trees, windows
driveways - everywhere!

17. Favorite Christmas song?

The Little Drummer
Boy and God Rest ye Merry
Gentelmen but my

absolute favorites
are Carol of the Bells and
What Child is This now

18 .Travel at Christmas or stay home?

We have travelled far
many years in a row and
this year we're staying

Christmas in our house
no stressful plane rides with
a crazy toddler!

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Dasher, Dancer, there's
Comet and Cupid, Prancer
Vixen, and Donner

That's seven reindeer...
hmm... and oh yeah, there's Blitzen!
and Rudolph makes nine!

You'll just have to trust
I promise no cheating, but
it took me a while!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

We have always had
a star, since I can 'member
but things can change!

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

One one Christmas Eve,
the rest torn into one by
one on Christmas morn.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?

Consumerism.
The buying and buying and
forgetting about

The reason for this
holiday, the joy we share,
the love we can spread.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?

I like my tree to
be a hodge podge of different
shapes and colors too!

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

Stuffing is so good
but my favorite part of it - 
family together!

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?

Some really good luck
wishes and prayers from friends and
family, toys for Sam.

26. Favorite Christmas album(s)?

The Chipmunks for sure
I love their Silver Bells, and
Barenaked Ladies

Sarah McLachlan
and the Rat Pack, old classics
Now I'm in the mood!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Rat Pack Christmas CD is my all time fave! There is a good Ray Charles one out there too if you like him, but you might have to order it on Amazon! Gotta love the Christmas season!!!

Mel said...

He he, these are great! I'll have to think about some of these questions and see what I come up with. Fun meme, great haiku!

Ash said...

Wow - impressive Haiku ability!

I'm with you on the fake tree, easier on the allergies as well. But I felt sorry for my boys the other day as I was bringing the box down from the attic.

Fun Christmas tree memories used to be made of going out in the woods to cut one down - now it's bending the branches into place.

Progress?

Em

Cathy said...

That's amazing you answered everything in haiku--awesome! I used to have a real tree, too, but now go for fakes.

Unknown said...

Wow. You're haiku prowess is something to be envied...
I miss having a real tree. My husband is really allergic. We even tried getting a real tree flocked...no go.
Carol of the Bells is also my favorite!! I loved playing that song when I was in bell choir...my other favorite is O Holy Night.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Impressive!
I'd have too much ADD to answer the questions and you were able to haiku the whole thing...bravo!

I'm doing the real vs fake tree debate right now. We have an old fake and a gift cert from my husband's company to buy a real one. I'm torn.

Kori said...

You know, I can't even do one Haiku-this is amazing! And I love the list.

Valerie said...

Hey Rachael I am just revisiting my SITStas from SITSmas day. Thanks for visiting my blog. We do the same thing for number #21. I'll be sure to come back. Have a great weekend.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Very impressive!!

I have yet to get back to everyone that commented on SITSmas. Whew...it'll probably take me a week.

By the way I got married at 16....so I guess that's why I look so young to have adult children! Although I don't think I look young and for sure don't feel it! haha

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Very creative! I love your answers. It's been a little while since I've been over here, so pardon the delayed kudos - but I really LOVE the new blog look! Very fun! :-)