July 3, 2009

SYTYCD Top 14: Performance & Elimination Recap

Performance Show

Well, Cat's dress wasn't terrible but it totally reminded me of a Barbie doll from the 80s. So, there's that. As far as her outfits go, not bad. I was glad to see Mia as a guest judge this week because she's one of the most honesty judges and she says weird shit sometimes, so that's amusing.

Jeanette & Brandon
Style: Cha Cha
Choreographer: Jean-Marc & France Generaux
Song: "Hush Hush; Hush Hush" by The Pussycat Dolls

I really hate The Pussycat Dolls, so I didn't want to hear their song, but it was not nearly as bad as some of their other stuff. I loved her dress. I feel like Jeanette looks so natural in every style, how does she do that?! I thought it was pretty amazing. Nigel said it was "probably the best damn cha cha" he's ever seen on this show. He called Brandon "The Michaelangelo of the dance floor." I think those two are teh couple to beat at this point. Also, I totally started to cry with Brandon when Mia was talking to him.

Kayla & Kupono
Style: Contemporary
Choreographer: Sonya Tayeh
Song: "Eyes on Fire" by Blue Foundation

I thought they were absolutely incredible last week. This dance sounded really cool during the choreography. I was unsure when they started dancing, but by the end I thought it was pretty brilliant. They work together really well as a couple. Kayla's technique was so beautiful. Mia called it Sonya's best piece ever on the show. "You make the most beautiful pictures everywhere," she said to Kayla. Loved it.

Evan & Randi
Style: Broadway
Choreographer: Joey Dowling
Song: "Rich Man's Frug" from Sweet Charity

I love Randi. I think she is absolutely adorable, her face is just so sunny. FINALLY we get a new broadway choreographer, which was nice. I have liked Tyce in the past, but it's so nice to have someone new. She said she was easy on them, but they seemed quite intimidated and like they were working quite hard. I LOVED IT. It was great. I agreed with Nigel that Randi was the star of the performance. Mia wasn't impressed, and the only thing I agreed with her on is that I could see what she was saying about Randi's steps being a little heavy.

Caitlin & Jason
Style: Jazz
Choreographer: Brian Friedman
Song: "Creator" by Santigold

What a weird concept. When they were practicing I thought if she could pull it off, it might be amazing. I thought this music was a perfect fit. It was pretty good. Her costume was out of control. I agree with Nigel that they committed to it. I wasn't sure if it would keep them safe, I thought it would depend on how the other couples danced. Mia called it "enjoyable."

Phillip & Jeanine
Style: Hip Hop
Choreographer: Napoleon & Tabitha Dumo

Song: "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West
I think Jeanine reminds me of Selena Gomez or something. Doesn't she totally look like she could fit in on one of those Disney teen shows? She's so cute. I like that they choreographed something around the show and the dancers experiences. I thought it was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. They were amazing, completely believable, the choreography with the chain was amazing. It may have been my favorite so far this season. I completely disagreed with Mia that the chain was "sloppy" or that it was distracting, I think that was really nitpicky.

Melissa & Ade
Style: Pas de Deux
Choreographer: Thordal Christensen
Song: "Romeo & Juliet: Prokofiev's Suite No. 1 Op. 646, 6th Movement" perf. by Orchestre De La Suisse Romande & Armin Jordan

Romeo and Juliet! I loved when Melissa said she'd be dancing her dream on national television. It's cool that she got to use her point shoes. The look on Ade's face when she first came out was PERFECT. I loved watching her en pointe. She was just so pretty. It was absolutely beautiful, and at the end when their hands interlocked? I got all teary. Mia called it a fairy tale, and I agree. And, as she said, "you can't fake classical ballet."

Karla & Vitolio
Style: Quickstep
Choreographer: Jean-Marc
& France Généreux
Song: "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Rufus Wainwright
Wow, quickstep on the first week partnering is a tough break. But they pulled it off. I loved the concept, and really wanted them to do well. I also love this song. The dress change at the beginning of the routine? Absolutely fabulous! I actually gasped out loud. I loved it, the judges really liked it. It was wonderful.

During this show they also talked about a new foundation that the choreographers, producers etc from the show and a few others have put together called The Dizzy Feet Foundation. I think it's wonderful, and I love the accreditation for dance teachers idea that Adam mentioned because I think that there are a lot of people teaching dance who can be easily surpassed by their students. Katie Holmes is actually donating her performance fee for the show on broadway that she's in right now to the foundation. What a great thing, anything promoting the arts and giving people a chance they wouldn't have had? It's okay in my book!

Predictions for bottom 3: Kayla & Kupono, Evan & Randi and Caitlin & Jason

Elimination Show

Opening Choreography by: Tyce Diorio
Song: "Brand New Day" from The Wiz

Man, I was sort of bored by the opening number. It just seemed so disconnected to me - too much dancing by small groups, like I feel like they weren't cohesive enough or something. I dunno, maybe I am just tired of Tyce's choreography or something. I just think of how amazing some of the past group routines have been and I wasn't really that impressed. Once again we have Cat in an... interesting... getup. It's silver. It's short. It's ugly. Whatevs.

So, the bottom three? Karla & Vitolio?? They were so good. Maybe people just didn't get it? I don't know. I wasn't surprised to see Kayla & Kupono in the bottom three, I thought they were great, but I think maybe people didn't "get it". When she said Caitlin & Jason were safe I was absolutely SHOCKED. I could not believe that Philip and Jeanine ended up in the bottom 3 with that amazing routine.

Karla danced to "Blackbird" as sung by Dionne Farris. I thought her routine was very well choreographed. She clearly put time and thought into it, which is good.

Vitolio danced to "Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flatts. He was just beautiful, I think he always is. He is absolutely one of my favorites this season.

Kayla danced to "Stupid" by Sarah McLachlan, my favorite singer. She was beautiful, she's a beautiful dancer. She literally looks like an angel.

Kupono danced to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Iz. He was Kupono. He danced well, but watching it, I didn't feel like he was dancing for his life, or that it was necessarily enough to keep him in the competition.

Jeanine danced to "Moonlight Sonata" and I thought she danced very well. It was a great choice of music.

Phillip danced to "You'll Find a Way" by Santigold. He was great, He is an amazing dancer, and I think that he's doing particularly well in the competition considering that his dance background is what it is. He looked great.

I really do think that this is one of the closest competitions I've seen on this show. This week, I was really unsure. I honestly didn't know who the judges were going to eliminate from the girls.

The judges were unanimous about the girls. They said that Jeanine's solo was the strongest of the evening, and that it was brilliant. Right then I knew it would be Karla going home. Despite what they said about Kayla's solo, I knew they would not send her home. I totally agree with what Nigel said - she just isn't as captivating as the other girls are. She's a wonderful dancer, but she wouldn't make it to the end.

The judges were also unanimous about the guys. Poor Phillip's face when Nigel was talking to him was so scared and unsure. Nigel talked about Vitolio's presence and his eyes, but say that he doesn't deliver much apart from that. He did point out how weak Kupono's solo was. In the end, they sent Vitolio home. I was so disappointed, I almost started to cry. I just don't think that Kupono can make it to the end, and I think Vitolio is so much more amazing. I loved his story, I loved his personality and the way he dances. It was the first person this season that I was shocked and very sad to see eliminated. He really is an inspiration, and I couldn't believe it.

So, no new couples next week. Sigh...

1 comment:

jmt said...

Mia just evokes emotion. She IS emotion for dancing. Her passion when she speaks about it, to anyone, is amazing to me. I can't wait for this week. (I, too, was disappointed to see Vitolio go home.)