February 27, 2009

Wordpress Wary

Haiku Friday

Have you noticed it?
The identity crisis
that my blog suffers?

Lately, I have made
changes to backgrounds, headers,
colors, layout, look.

The way it looks, it
hasn't made me happy so
I keep changing it

Wordpress lurks, peeking
at me around a corner -
I know it wants me

But I am afraid
Do I have the brains for it?
Technology fright!

Okay, so here's the thing. Clearly, as you can tell by my changing header and background, I am not happy with the appearance of my blog. There are things I want to do with the design that I can't really do here. Wordpress has some cool features, and my husband thinks I should make the switch. But... well, I admit it, I'm afraid. It's more complicated and more techy than blogger, which is pretty close to point and click. But I feel like if I switch, I can make my blog more my own, does that even make sense?

I have questions, and I don't really know the answers. So, here is my cry for help - if you use Wordpress or have switched to it from another blog, let me know if you have any advice or answers for me!

Is there a way to have categories on Wordpress like I have labels on Blogger? When you import a blog to WP it automatically converts the labels into tags, which when you click them will take you to all WP posts with that tag instead of just YOUR posts with that tag.

What exactly does it mean to self host? What is involved in that?

How much do you really have to know to create your own WP template? Is it easy to learn?

What are the biggest advantages of switching or not?

To read more Friday Haikus, click here.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I can't help you there. I am so tech-tarded. My husband and his uber-genius friend in Texas revamped mine. And if I want to make changes myself, I will have to take some classes or something.
Good luck. I love the daisies! You should keep those.

Anonymous said...

Can't help you with wordpress, but you might want to check out squarespace. I use them at Mommycosm. I pay $12/month. They host it and the user interface is SUPER easy.

Cathy said...

i can't help you either--i use blogger--it's not the greatest but it would be a lot of time to make the switch. I look forward to what you do!

Megan R. said...

I'm no help. I heart blogger. My huband just started his own blog at Wordpress, but he started there from scratch.

Chris said...

I guess I get to be the Wordpress nerd. LOL

I love WP!! I've only been using blogger for about 2 months and I'm already ready to give it up! There are SO MANY things you can do with WP that you can't do with blogger. The possibilities are seriously endless.

But at the same time, WP is so simple! Posting a new blog is as easy as blogger. You just click "new post", type, hit publish and you're done. And yes you can have categories and all that stuff.

There are so many templates out there that you could browse for days and never see all of them And color changes are simple... and and and... LOL

And I pay $7 a month and $7 per domain (each year) where I host. And you can have as many domains as you want. I currently host about 9 on my server.

If you want help, seriously feel free to gimme a holler. You can find all of my info on the contact page at Text Imps which btw is built with WP. And obviously I'm willing to help if I'm willing to sit here and type for 5 minutes in your comments. (Good grief I gotta get a life Hahaaa)

Tink *~*~* said...

You might consider doing what I did - hire someone to do the initial creation of your WP template and the migration from Blogger and then you're maintaining it yourself. It's not really hard, it's just different.

We played with it for months before actually migrating, and I got to ask all my "how do I...." questions and learn a thing or two. There are plugins and widgets for WP, and there are also tons and tons of free templates for download.

As for hosting - I do mine at Lunarpages and it's just around a hundred a year. You get tons of disk space and they have great service and excellent uptime.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't hesitate to email me if you have more questions.

Tink *~*~*
Now Playing at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* : Sanibel Island, pre-Charlie

BellTinkR at gmail dot com

Heather said...

sounds like you got some sound advice from a couple of people. Which is good, because I couldn't help you out at all. But did want to say that the blog looks great!

Pamela said...

Excellent advice here. I have a WP blog and found it very easy to set up, and for free. There are so many options, my favorite of which is the ability to create as many pages as you can think up a use for.

I've never tried transfering a blog to WP so I'm not sure how that works.

I'll say that I like Blogger and Wordpress for different reasons. You should really give WP a try. :)

Oh, and great to meet you! :) This is my first week trying Haiku Friday.

Maude Lynn said...

I've been playing a bit with WP, and I've found it to be a nightmare!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I'm way to comfortable with blogspot.

Fiauna said...

I always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Okay, I don't really say that. But I think your blog is great. I love the haikus. Well done.