February 6, 2009

Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans

Of COURSE I went to see Underworld 3! If a new movie comes out involving vampires or werewolves, you can pretty much assume I'll be there. If you've got both? Count me in bigtime. I really liked the other Underworld movies, and was really impressed by Scott Speedman's performance in the second one.

I really like Michael Sheen. He has such an interesting face, and he fits so well in so many roles. He's great in the Underworld movies, and he was great as Tony Blair in The Queen. He is currently also starring in Frost/Nixon, which I am looking forward to seeing. He had a larger role in this movie, which was great. I didn't realize that I thought he was a little hot until I watched this movie though!

He was paired with Rhona Mitra in a Romeo and Juliet-esque forbidden relationship. The thing is, I don't really like Rhona Mitra. There's just something about her that bugs me. I REALLY didn't like her character on Nip/Tuck and didn't care for her on Boston Legal either. It wasn't enough for it to ruin this movie for me, but I was definitely aware of it the entire time I was watching.

They did a great job connecting this back to the other movies, this is a story that was alluded to and explained in the other Underworld movies fleshed out to a full story of it's own. If you were a fan of the other movies, you'll certainly enjoy this one. There are parts that are hokey. But it's to be expected. I like the way they do the morphing for the werewolves when they turn.

I don't know what werewolves are supposed to look like in my head, but no movie has gotten it right. I guess it's a difficult fact, I do wonder what year it will be before I see one that looks like the real thing to me. At least with these movies, they've chosen their look and they're sticking to it. It's not perfect, but it works.

As for Bill Nighy, I am half convinced that he actually looks like this in real life. And is a vampire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had no idea they made a 2nd movie of this let alone a third..wow. i TRIED getting into it, i really did. just not happening. same thing with twilight.

HAPPY SATURDAY!!

Anonymous said...

remember Teen Wolf....That was an awesome version of a werewolf....=)! I also love Mike J. Fox. I liked Underworld 1, did not like Underworld 2 and it seems as though Underworld 3 will be a big hit....thank goodness, I had high expectations after #1.

Anonymous said...

Bill Nighy is the man!! I can't get enough of him in movies!
If my husband wasn't such a douche when it comes to horror movies, I would toooootally go and see this one. I really like the other two Underworld movies.