February 20, 2009

Heartbreakingly Beautiful

Haiku Friday

The world is full of
amazing stories, they can
touch your heart daily

Ishmael Beah is
from Sierra Leone, now
lives here, in New York

Only thirteen, he
was trained to kill, ruthlessly
and without remorse

Threatened, he skirted
death many times, but he made
it, he survived it

Heartbreaking in it's
language, events, and in the
lives of his people

"There were all kinds of stories told about the war that made it sound as if it was happening in a faraway and different land." So begins the memoirs of Ishmael Beah.

Born in Sierra Leone in 1980, Beah is the same age as me, but has been through things in his lifetime that I cannot even bear to imagine. I picked this book up over a year ago, probably fairly close to the time I saw Blood Diamond in the theater and my heart was wrenched by the idea that in this time, there are still child soldiers trained to fight in this world.

To read more about Beah, and my review of his book, head over to SNOTW Presents.

To read more Haikus, click here!

5 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

Provocative subject - thanks for making me think today. comparatively, we live pretty sheltered lives in America. Not sure any of our kids are tough enough to survive the kind of childhood to which so many in other parts of the world are subjected.

Tink *~*~*
NEW at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* :
La Luna Obscura

Heather said...

wow. I have no words. Thank you for spreading awareness of this, I am off to read more!

Mel said...

Oooh, adding it to my reading list now! I'm currently reading Catch-22. Never read it before, but it's a quick read so far, at least compared to other "classics" I've read.

storyteller said...

Reading the stories of real people from all over the world raises our awareness in powerful ways.
Hugs and blessings,

Tumblewords: said...

For sure. The more we know, the better prepared we are to improve the world.