November 7, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day 7: What's In a Name?

NaBloPoMo November 2013Well, I'm phoning it in a little bit today and using the writing prompt from BlogHer, and it's not a very deep one.  BUT it's day 7, which means I have made it through the first week and not failed yet!  So that's awesome.  I'm pretty excited at the thought of actually making it through the month, but I am also struggling with finding the right time of day to write my posts.  The last couple of days I've done it after the kids go to bed - way after in some cases - and then I am tired and have trouble thinking or being inspired.  If I could do it in between getting home and bedtime, while they are eating, that would work better!  I'm also going to try to do some brainstorming and outlining this weekend so I have some starts and ideas for days when I don't have immediate thoughts that come to mind.  Anyhow, here is the prompt:

If you had to switch your first name, what name would you choose and why?

Ah, the name change!  When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get married and change me last name.  It was never a question to me whether I would, and I loved doing it.  I've never thought of changing my first name, but if I changed it, I know what I'd choose:  Abigail.  That was the name that Justin and I picked out if we had a daughter, and it's just about my favorite girl name.  I might go by Abby, or I might go by Abigail.  There is just something special about it to me.

There is also an interesting story about this name (see, writing prompts work!).  When I was in 4th and 5th grade I had a best friend named Rachele Davison.  Yes, we were both Rachael D, just different spellings of the first name.  We were so close, and did everything together.  After we moved to Washington after 5th grade we wrote letters to each other and she even flew out to visit once!  I remember when she was here we baked a cake and put a disgusting amount of icing on it.  Well, we lost touch for a while, but thanks to Facebook (it really is awesomely amazing sometimes) we reconnected.  And I found out that she has a daughter named Abigail.  We chose the same name for our daughters, I just didn't get to use it.  I also found out that she has a trinity knot tattoo that is pretty similar to mine.  Life is funny sometimes.  I am hoping that someday I will have the money to fly back to Michigan, see the places I lived when I was little, and reconnect with her and meet her kids.  It would be amazing.

No comments: