November 15, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day 15: Friday Fragments


It's been quite a while since I participated in Friday Fragments, but I used to do it regularly when I blogged more often.  I like having a place to empty my head of those little thoughts that get in there during the week but just aren't enough for a full blog post.

***

I watched a documentary tonight called "The Elephant in the Living Room" on Netflix.  Netflix is like the pot at the end of the rainbow for documentaries - it's hard for me to discover new ones I want to watch sometimes until I start perusing Netflix and then I end up watching all kinds of crazy stuff, and it's all great.  Who knew a documentary about a font ("Helvetica") would be so interesting.  Anyhow, the one I watched tonight was about people owning exotic animals (especially dangerous ones) in the United States.  It was interesting, though if you're an animal lover, just beware there's a scene in the last half hour where an animal dies from a tragic accident and it's very sad.  In any case, it's bizarre to me that people out there think it's okay to own the most poisonous snakes in the world or Siberian Tigers in their backyards in little cages.  So weird.

***

I'm listening to the 2nd book in the Partials Sequence by Dan Wells, "Fragments."  I really like it so far.  I have been into all kinds of dystopian YA books since I read The Hunger Games, and this series is one I really like.  My other favorites are the Divergent series, the Delerium series, and I really liked the first book in the Monument 14 books.  What are your favorites?  I need to read them!

***

Our power just went out.  It is 10:08 pm and I am writing this on my laptop with the battery.  This is the second time this week our power has gone out at night.  The first time was last Sunday and I got home at 2 AM (NOT usual for a work night, but I was in Seattle for book club and ended up going to a movie and then hanging out with my best friend, and I was in great need of some girlfriend time!), and it was all down our street.  I'd seen a fire truck and ambulance on the street out nearer the main road, so I thought that had something to do with it.  Not sure what's going on this time, but Justin's going outside to investigate.  I say if I can't post this until after midnight, it still counts, as long as I finish writing it before midnight.  Our internet connection won't work with the power out, which also means that our phones won't work, so I can't even go on Facebook and see if anyone knows why the power is out again!  GAH!

***

We have tickets this Sunday for our 2nd show in the Broadway at the Paramount series - Priscilla Queen of the Desert.  I am looking forward to it!  I liked the movie, and I wasn't that impressed with the new Wizard of Oz, so I'm hoping this will make me feel happier than that did.  I think after this our next one is in January, but I can't remember which one it is.

***

I feel like time is just flying by - I can't believe at all that it's halfway through November already and there is basically only a month until Christmas.  WHAT?!  I think the rest of November is going to go by really, really fast because we have so much stuff going on - the show this weekend, lots of appointments next week, my birthday next weekend including a sleepover for me in Seattle, and then heading to the farm in Eastern Washington for Thanksgiving.  Wowza.  I'm feeling a little anxious even though it's all fun stuff, well, except the meetings.

***

In case anyone is reading that was here yesterday, my eye doesn't hurt anymore.  So, that's good.  I must have poked myself or something and made a bruise.  Who knows?

***

Our cat has taken to hissing as a form of communication.  It's really weird.  He's an old-guy cat, I think he's 12 years old?  Maybe 13?  He is kind of needy and meows at us a lot, and he had fleas that got really bad earlier this year, so he started hissing when he wanted things, like to go outside, or basically for us to pay attention to him.  Basically, he just randomly hisses, and it's not anger, it's like he's just decided that is a new way for him to talk to us.  It's especially distressing when he is sleeping on the back of the couch right behind your head and you either don't know he's there, or don't realize he's awake, and he suddenly just hisses really loud in your ear.

***

The movie I saw last Sunday was called "In a World."  It has Lake Bell and I think she either wrote or produced it, it's about voice actors.  It was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes funny, quirky, independent comedies.  Very entertaining!

***

Well, I think that's about it for this one!  It's only 10:23, that didn't take long!  I love it when I start out feeling uninspired and then I just type and stuff comes out and it feels great.  I hope you all have a great weekend, I'll be around figuring out what to write about!  I wrote Sam's "birthday" letter, but still owe one to Danny, so maybe I'll work on that one of the days.

HA!  11:01 and the power just came back on.  Boo yah.

NaBloPoMo November 2013

No comments: