January 13, 2012

Friday Fragments!

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

This week, a family in my community suffered a horrible tragedy when their 10 year old was accidentally hanged on Monday evening.  I wrote yesterday about how the community has been rallying around the family.  Today, I'm just finding myself upset because of something I KNEW would happen with media coverage.  People are being insensitive, saying things about his parents, about how he "should" have been raised, about it being "fishy" (it's not).  I did not expect Caleb's story to show up on Huffington Post or The Daily Mail.  Or for a wonderful reporter from the LA Times to write an amazing, beautiful story about him.  I just wish that people could see this for what it is - a terrible, terrible accident - and support Caleb's family right now.  I am also really proud and amazed that the Moms in my community raised over $1000 in less than 2 days to give to the family. It makes me feel like I'm part of a great community, and it makes me feel a little safer knowing how people support each other when things happen in life.

*****

I discovered the best thing this week thanks to Mimi from Irresistible Icing.  I had the Weight Watchers app on my phone already, but she recently featured the Weight Watchers Barcode Scanner in a post on her site.  You scan the barcode on any food and it tells you the serving size, fat, carbs, protein, fiber & points plus value!  This is going to be SO handy when I'm grocery shopping or at the store trying to pick out a snack.  I LOVE it!

*****

Last weekend my best friend and I were talking about something we're going to do later this year - attend the Supernatural Con in Vancouver, B.C.  I am SO excited. I'm going to start saving my money now so I can buy a couple of photo ops.  Yes, I'm a geek!

*****

Justin just got home from work and I found out he got invited to go down on a sort of 'man weekend' with his boss and co-worker.  Normally I would hate that... but Danny freakishly fell asleep early today (he is asleep at 5:30.  I am scared about what will happen next).  I guess I'm feeling generous.  I called my Mom and she said she can hang out with me and maybe give me a couple of hours off Sunday, so he's getting his stuff ready to go now.

*****

Not much else to say now!  I hope everyone has a good weekend, I'll be around to visit all the Friday Fragments posts, maybe even tonight!

5 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

I'm like you about the inevitable media coverage.  Everything has to be somebody's "fault".  But it is heartening when you read someone with an understanding heart.  

The Wt Watcher app sounds wonderful!  What a time saver for busy shoppers!  It's easier to eat wisely when you don't have bad choices in the house.

Have a nice weekend with the Hubs off bonding with men.

lisleman said...

Supernatural Con - never heard of this but I imagine might be stranger than Comic con.
The mobile apps are changing daily life.

Laurie Matherne said...

I never heard of the Supernatural Con. I am not brave enough to attend. Enjoy it in my place. And. .. I like your header. It pops! 

unknownmami said...

It really bums me out when something tragic happens to a family and the media finds a way to hurt the family even more. It's just cruel.

Mrs4444 said...

That story is heartbreaking, truly. I will add his family to my prayers tonight.

That app sounds wonderful! 

I'm sure your generosity will be rewarded. What goes around comes around, too, you know... :)