January 5, 2010

Movie Fail

On Friday my Mom and her husband finally got back from their 2 week Christmas vacation excursion to Belize. That's right, tropical beach. I can't wait to look at all of their pictures! She was nice enough to come over on Sunday so Justin and I could go out.

First we were going to see Avatar. But it started about 20 minutes after we were trying to leave the house, and I needed to eat first. So then we decided to go see Sherlock Holmes, which started a bit over an hour later. We went & ate at Applebees and got to the movie theater just as the movie was supposed to be starting. And it was SOLD OUT. What the hell? This is not the first time this has happened in the last year since we moved back to Bellingham, and it's a bummer! I have to get used to the fact that Bellingham has grown enough that movies actually sell out here now! And not just on opening night either...

So, we ended up seeing Did You Hear About the Morgans. See the difference there...? I am not a huge Sarah Jessica Parker fan, but I thought it was not bad. I do always enjoy Hugh Jackman Hugh GRANT (OMG this pregnancy brain is REALLY not impressing me this week...) and I absolutely love Sam Elliot and Mary Steenburgen, so having them in the movie as a couple was awesome.

When we went to the concession stand, I ordered a small popcorn and a medium soda, then asked for a large bottle of water. You know, the big Dasani bottles that they rob you $4.50 to buy? Well, they were OUT OF WATER. So I asked if I could get a cup of water and they tried to offer me one of those little dixie cup things they give out to let you fill up at the water fountain for free. WTF? I said, since you are out of bottled water, can I get a larger cup? And they WOULDN'T GIVE ME ONE. Because "cups are inventory". They did say that I was welcome to walk to the Rite Aid at the other end of the shopping center and buy a bottle to bring in with me.

I was so mad. First off, I have worked in retail and food service. I KNOW there is a way for you to adjust your inventory a-holes. Secondly, it's your fault for running out of inventory of water. They said that the only way for me to get a bigger cup was to pay the full price for a soda. I pointed out that they don't pay $4.50 per cup but they didn't care. They suggested I could talk to a manager, but she was selling the tickets and there was a line and our movie was starting, so I just paid for the other food and left. I just couldn't deal with arguing about it, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

So, the whole experience was less than what I would have hoped for my first movie viewing of 2010. Oh well, I guess it can only go uphill from here!

6 comments:

Rebecca is Thrilled by the Thought said...

Bad customer service is the worst. They don't have to give things away for free to please an unnecessarily upset customer. But when it's THEIR fault and you make a reasonable request, they should fulfill it! In fact, they should have come up with the solution you offered on their own- not tell you to go talk to a manager who has no time for you.

Unknown said...

Hugh Jackman's in that movie?! I thought that Hugh Grant was in it...
I can't believe those guys were such d-bags about a cup of water! If they are that concerned about inventory, just make a bloody note! "Patient pregnant lady wanted water but we were out of bottles so we gave her a big cup."
There! Problem solved.
Jerks...
BTW, try to go see Sherlock Holmes. Not your typical Guy Ritchie movie...in a good way!

Unknown said...

It IS Hugh Grant. On the other hand, like my wife always says (because she's SO in love with me) Hugh Who? No matter whether it's Grant or Jackson, it's just another dead president as far as she's concerned.

Rachael said...

Wow, apparently I am really on a roll with typos in my posts this week. I totally knew it was Hugh Grant, that's what I meant. I blame preggo brain...

misguided mommy said...

oooooooomg the inventory cup thing makes me sooooooooooooo angry ive heard that a few times once i was so hard up i paid for a cup to put some ice in so i could go ice my sons hand

Mrs. M said...

I used to work in a theater and had to tell people the same thing! I think if you "damage" it then you can give it away!!