January 4, 2010

2009 SNOTW Movie Awards

Last year, I decided to do my own movie awards for 2008. I had forgotten all about it until I was looking through the year and when I found it, I thought, hey! Why not do that again?

In 2008 I somehow managed to see a whopping 70 movies in the theater. In 2009 I was down to 55, but still a good group to pick from! My full list of movies I watched in 2009 is here. Obviously, these won't be the same as the Golden Globes or Oscars since I'm only going to choose from movies I actually saw.

Drama/Action

Best Picture: Invictus
Best Actress: Meryl Streep as Julia Child in Julie & Julia
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio in Revolutionary Road (didn't like the movie that much, SO depressing, but he was so good in it)
Best Supporting Actress: Emily Blunt in Sunshine Cleaning.
Best Supporting Actor: Stanley Tucci in Julie & Julia (absolutely charming)

Comedy/Musical

Best Picture: The Hangover. Seriously? I was laughing so much I was trying not to laugh so I wouldn't miss anything.
Best Actress: Anna Friel in Land of the Lost
Best Actor: Joseph Gordon-Levitt in (500) Days of Summer
Best Supporting Actress: Heather Graham in The Hangover
Best Supporting Actor: Woody Harrelson in Zombieland

The Best of the Rest

Best Kids Movie: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I loved Up too. But this is one of my favorite books of all time, and I loved the adaptation.
Best Action Sequence: I can't say a particular part, but it was totally 2012. Yes, I AM a disaster movie junkie!
Best Plot Twist: Orphan. Seriously. It was so over the top.
Hottest Actress: Kate Winslet. I heart her.
Hottest Actor: Taylor Lautner in Twilight. I'm sorry, it's a little creepy because it's total cradle robbery but oh well.
Creepiest Performance: Michael C Hall in Gamer. SO creepy.
Actor Most Likely to Turn Your Husband Gay: Hugh Jackman in Wolverine. Somehow, he is pretty much only hot when he's Wolverine (or the drover in Australia). How is that?
Actress Most Likely to Turn Your Wife Gay: Kate Winslet in The Reader. Okay, so it is not exactly the sexiest subject matter with the Nazis and all... but Kate Winslet? HAWT!

Oops...


Worst Picture: Crank: High Voltage. Just... barf.
Worst Choice in Greenlighting a Movie: The Ugly Truth. You somehow managed to make Gerard Butler TOTALLY not hot at all. Great job...
Movie With the Most Potential That Didn't Impress Me Enough: Paranormal Activity. All I heard was how scary it was, but I really thought that only a couple of scenes were REALLY scary. Or Extract. I just wanted more.
Most Gratituitous Violence: Crank: High Voltage

Most Unforgettable Moments:
  • Chinese guy jumps out of the trunk in The Hangover
  • Tobey Maguire loses it on his front lawn in Brothers
  • Bill Murray's accidental death in Zombieland
  • Airlifted animals in 2012
  • Dumbledore's death in Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince
Yeah, so that was way harder than making my 2008 list. I don't know if it was the quality of the movies or the number I saw or what. Weird.

What were your favorite movies of 2009?

7 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am uber impressed with the number of movies you have seen! Going the movies is a challenge...because Katie is old enough to see most of the movies Michael and I want to see...but Madalyn - not so much. So we have to find plan B for her. I can't wait till she's a little older and we can all go.

My favorite movies of the year were The Hangover, Up, and Avatar.

Jan Ross said...

You are so right about Crank:High Voltage. Not that the other Crank movies are award-winning masterpieces, but they were entertaining. This movie was a disaster - and not in a good way. You must not have seen "Avatar" yet or surely it would have won some sort of award on your list!!

Mom said...

I like the fact that Meryl Streep was so good as Julia Child, that you actually thought she WAS Julia Child.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Rachael said...

Oh Har de Har Mom. I fixed my typo.

Wendy said...

just have to say i'm jealous about all the movies you got to see in 2009! i'm still hoping to catch avatar in 3D...

Momo Fali said...

I really need to get out more. Of all of those movies, I've only seen The Hangover and Revolutionary Road...and both of those were in the last week on my living room television!

Shannon said...

I loved most of these movies, too!

The Hangover... funniest movie EVER. I saw it in the theater with 2 friends (in fact, one was Kat!) and it was hi-lar-ious. Oh. My. GAH. We laughed so hard.
I just recently watched it again, this time with hubby... he had yet to see it. I think I laughed more the 2nd time around. My fave parts are the song Stu sings and when the guy leaps out of the trunk.

Just saw Julie & Julia last weekend. Pretty good... Meryl was fabulous. I have the book but haven't read it yet.

With you on Gerard Butler NOT being sexy in The Ugly Truth. It kind of annoys me when he plays Americans. I want to hear his Scottish accent! THAT is sexy. I honestly don't think he pulls off an American accent very well!