March 10, 2009

Close Your Eyes, and Think of England

This week's theme for Heads or Tails Tuesday is to share a springtime memory. For whatever reason, the memory that came to mind first for me is an old one - it happened almost 10 years ago.

When I was 19 years old, I got to go to London for a study-abroad program through the community college I attended. I'd guess there were around 30 of us on the trip, although I'm not positive. We were all friendly, but we all made our little groups. The person I connected with the most was a girl named Heather. She was the same age as me, I think, and it was one of those things where we started talking, and something just clicked. I felt comfortable with her and we became friends, passing notes in class and hanging out.

One day, our group took one of our day trips up to Oxford. We had several hours to wander around and look at stuff, and Heather and I took off. At one point we got lost. I don't think we were REALLY seriously lost, we weren't scared about missing our bus back or anything, but we didn't really know where we were. It was a pretty day outside, and we were walking around in the sun laughing, and just having a carefree good time. We were young, happy, away from home and having an amazing experience. At one point, I decided I needed a photo of us, being lost. So I propped the camera on the edge of a trash bin and we ran in front of it and smiled. I remember Heather heckling me because I insisted on doing it ourselves even though we probably could have asked a passerby to take our picture.

That's only one of the great memories I have from that trip. I stayed friends with Heather for several years after we came back and then we lost touch. A couple of weeks ago, I found Heather and her husband on Facebook, and reconnected, and I was so excited! So, that's my good memory for today.

What is one of your favorite Springtime memories?

To read more Heads or Tails memories, click here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

...that you reconnected with your friend, Heather, is just too awesome a thought!!! How wonderful, and thank the internet for it all!!!!

Loved you HoT entry. Mine is posted, and Easter memory of 1954. Come on over for a visit if you can find time today, I'd love your company.

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit England one day! And that is great that you got to hook-up again through Facebook :)

Happy HOT day!

Unknown said...

What a cool story!
I don't have any cool springtime memories...at least any that come to mind right now...

Tricia said...

What a cool memory of good times, and how neat that you have reconnected with Heather.

Tabbikat's Thoughts

Chris said...

It's wonderful that you got to reconnect with Heather. An awesome spring memory too.

Tumblewords: said...

How nifty that you re-connected with Heather! A carefree memory, for sure!

Valerie said...

I have never been out of this country. I think I would love to visit England though. Hey if you haven't already come enter my giveaway. It'll be open until 2:00 p.m. (CST) tomorrow.