April 7, 2009

French Cooking, Demon Hunting, and My Little Ponies

This week's theme for Head or Tails Tuesday is 'List Three'. You may have noticed before that I love lists, so it was hard to pick one thing to write about! I finally decided to write about three ways I've been relaxing and entertaining myself lately!

1. Reading. I love books, I love to read. Last year I reached a goal of reading 50 books that year, and decided from then forward that my ongoing goal is going to be to read 52 books every year. It doesn't actually work out to one book a week because some weeks I don't read and other times I devour books one after the other. I just finished reading 'Julie and Julia', a book about a woman who decided to undertake cooking all of the recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year. I'll be posting a full review on that later, but I definitely enjoyed it. Right now I'm reading 'City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare. I love Young Adult fiction, especially science fiction. Loved Twilight, love the House of Night series. I think that part of the reason is that the Young Adult books are always really character driven. I'm about to start reading 'The Lost Girls' for book club, and am looking forward to that one as well. People sometimes ask me how I have time to read all those books... it's just like anything else - you have to make time for it. Learn to steal a few pages when you're waiting for the water to boil or the rice to cook. Read a bit at night before bed. Forego TV one night to just settle down with a good book. There are NEVER enough hours in the day, but we can decide how to spend the ones that exist!

2. TV. I have no problem admitting that I love watching TV. I follow an absurd number of shows, and I don't apologize for it. It's something I love, it helps me unwind, and I love looking at things with a critical eye. Right now, I am loving Supernatural. It's one of my favorite shows, and I look forward to it every week. I like it that there are ongoing story arcs, but they do get wrapped up and new ones are started each season. To me, this show is VERY reminiscent of The X-Files, which is one of my favorite shows of all time. Also, Jensen Ackles is hot. I've also really been enjoying the new show Eleventh Hour with Rufus Sewell and Criminal Minds.

3. Coloring. I KNOW, adults are not supposed to plop down with 100 crayons and a coloring book on the couch. Do I care? Not really. I love coloring. I have several coloring books. I love the Dover coloring books, because you can get ones that are more complex or intricate. I often use colored pencils for those ones. But I also like stupid, silly coloring books that give me pretty things to decorate, like Barbie and My Little Ponies. There's something about using that creative part of your brain to pick out the colors, then looking at the finished product that is just so fun! I think that when we grow up, we lose too much of our creativity - we give up making up stories and adventures, we don't do as much art, we don't give ourselves permission to use glitter and crayons. But why not? It's still totally fun!

So, those are a few of the things I've been up to. What have you been reading, watching or doing to relax lately?

To read more Heads or Tails Tuesday posts, click here.

11 comments:

Chris said...

We're not suppose to color? Seriously? No one told me this. Is there an age limit on it? A kid limit? What's the deal? Maybe I haven't passed the limit and still qualify for coloring time. *crosses fingers*

Barb said...

we have a love of reading in common. I still need to get Twilight though. It seems everyone but me has read it. I used to read two hours every night when I went to bed. Now I have a laptop and seem to be online more.

I used to not like much TV but this year I've found a couple shows I follow. Besides Idol which I've watched for years. I like a Monday show called Castle. I like Lie to Me.. and for the first season, Hell's Kitchen. Psst.. you could also read during commercials. :)

OK.. are we related? LOL! I LOVE coloring and one of my favorite smells in the world is a new box of crayons.

Hootin Anni said...

Hey....I'll sit down with you and color any ol' day!!! You got my vote!!!

My Three are up now. See you at my place. Be there, or be square! [LOL]

Mimi said...

OMG, those are honestly 3 things I love to do, too! I love my Crayola Big Box with the sharpener!

Dawn said...

I love Supernatural too. Jensen Ackles is indeed hot! :-)

Unknown said...

Good list.
I also love TV. I am enjoying Heroes and Chuck and the return of Nathan Fillion in Castle. Woot!
And I luuuuuurv reading! I cannot-absolutely can.not. fall asleep without reading a few chapters. Right now I am devouring Lord of the Rings. It will be the millionth time I've read it but I don't care. It's my favorite book.

Kori said...

I don't do TV at all, haven't for years (and tell me, why should you feel the need to apologize for watching TV? I don't apologize for not using reusable grocery bags, and to me it's the same concept. But whatever, right?), but dang, I love books; I read mine, the ones hte kids bring home from school, anything. Except Harlequin Romances, because the yare the Devils handiwork. And coloring; sigh, don't you just love the smell of a frshly opened box of crayola crayons? Having kids is so great because you get to do these things and read these things and everybody just thinks you are being a great mom. totally a win-win situation.

Tumblewords: said...

Great post! I haven't read the 'Twilight' books yet, but they are on my list...I didn't quit coloring just because I got older...

Karen said...

I love to read too. The trouble is, I can't put a book down to cook, potty, do laundry. LOL

Robyn Jones said...

Great list! I read a lot, although, i have no idea if I read 50 books a year...I also love most of the same shows..I used to love x-files....I also love Criminal minds, not big on Supernatural though. Have you seen NCIS? That one amuses me....

I like to color with my little boy, but i also love to do most art..ceramics, painting...mostly music though.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I love to read, too. I would love to cook everything that Julia did. And I color all the time. I really feel like it is therapy!!

Oh and I am a TV junkie! shhh don't tell.