July 4, 2008

Haiku Friday: Gay Marriage Makes Me Cry



A special kind of
joy, celebrated at last
brings tears to my eyes

Twenty seven years
finally matrimony
after all this time

Hateful signs are there
but overshadowed by the
signs of love, support

Hateful thoughts exist
but can't compete with kisses
hugs between couples

Families smile
Bride loves bride and groom loves groom
Children's parents wed

You deserve this joy
All people should have the right
To wed who they choose

I can't wait until
This scene repeats in my town-
Congratulations!


Photo Credits:
1. Hamming with the Family Planning Guide, 2. SF Gay Marriages June 16 & 17, 08, 3. SF Gay Marriages June 16 & 17, 08, 4. sf city hall gay marriage equality 6.16 (36), 5. sf city hall gay marriage equality 6.16 (20), 6. SF City Hall After the Legalization of Gay Marriages, 7. sf city hall gay marriage equality 6.16 (48), 8. Marriage-004, 9. Appreciation, 10. Together for 27 years..., 11. same-sex marriage san francisco, 12. Marriage-004B

7 comments:

Karen Coutu said...

That must be an amazing sight! What a great day to pick to get married too!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful collage and haiku. Two people in love enough to legally commit to love and cherish one another forever is a beautiful thing and is their business to pick who that other half will be. I will never fully understand why this is so controversial (yes, I know what the arguments are, but they make no sense to my heart). Oh, I could go on preaching to the choir, but no need, you did so beautifully already.

VDog said...

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't be happier!

Anonymous said...

Lovely haiku, thanks for sharing this!

Gemma Wiseman said...

A delightful collage and your poem is a lovely celebration.

Bev Sykes said...

Lovely post! I attended the reception of two friends who recently married and there was so much love in that room it was incredible.

Scraps said...

Years ago I had participated in SF Public Library's Reversing Vandalism exhibit and then donated my art to be auctioned off to benefit the library. I received an email from a stranger one day saying that he and his partner had visited the exhibit on their wedding day and purchased several pieces at the eventual auction as mementos, my piece (an altered book) being one of them.

It's so nice to know that more people will get the opportunity to make that commitment, legally, if they choose.