July 28, 2008

Movie Monday: The X-Files (No Spoilers)

I call my car the Mulder-mobile. Why, you ask? That's because I have a personalized license plate that says 'MULDER' in the bold blue letters of the Washtington DOL. So, you can imagine how excited I was for the opening day of the 2nd movie - "The X-Files: I Want to Believe". You can also imagine that I have a LOT to say about it. I also respect the fact that I need to protect YOU from any spoilers. Therefore, I will say a little here, and then link below to a very detailed review with my thoughts about the movie. If you click on the link, you WILL BE SPOILED. Don't say I didn't warn you.

For those of you who were not chomping at the bit like me, and didn't go to the theater on opening day, or giggle like a crazy person when the theme song first started to play, well, here's what I thought in a nutshell: It was good. There were things I didn't like, but it's hard to judge the movie in any objective way for me. I don't know what it would be like to see it without having the background of the series. I do think that they did a fairly good job in that arena, from what I can judge the movie could have stood as it's own supernatural murder mystery. There wasn't a lot of mythology, although I have a hunch that perhaps some of the Mulder/Scully relationship stuff would have been a little harder to understand. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe it would have been easier to understand if you weren't thinking about it as hard as I was though.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprised their roles wonderfully, and Billy Connolly was quite brilliant in his role as a possible psychic. I realize I am definitely biased, but I think that YOU, my friend, should go and see this movie!

A full review will be up later.

5 comments:

moosh in indy. said...

I was told back in the day I looked like Gillian Anderson.
I have to admit I was never into the X-Files thing but think it's darn near awesome that you have a MULDER license plate.

Anonymous said...

I think that license plate is damn awesome! Now I don't feel so bad about one that says SPIKE on the black car and BUFFY on the white car. Although I would have felt pretty stupid putting ANGEL on the green one.

Can't wait to see the movie. Seriously CAN'T WAIT! But alas, I must.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the new X-Files movie. We loved that show to death. But as our free time away from kids is limited, we might be seeing Dark Knight in the theater and having to wait for X-Files to come out on DVD. I really am dying to see DK and have a total crush on Christian Bale right now. We just watched The Prestige (Christian Bale's in that too) last week and that's not helping the situation any. :-)

MarĂ­a said...

Ummmmmmmm. I didn't think it was that good.


*ducks and runs*1

Rachael said...

I realize that many people didn't think it was that good. The thing is, I am so biased it was impossible for me to judge it as a movie. Justin thought it was more like a 2 hour long TV episode, and he was probably right. I just have this forever love for Mulder and Scully, and I can't let go of it! It's like all the people wo are going to go see New Kids on the Block on their new tour, and even if they don't actually sound that good, those people will have fun. You know. I have no way to judge how good it was without thinking about how much I LOVE The X-Files.