March 8, 2012

Friday Fragments: Pets, Proactiv and Random Pieces

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

I'm going to start out with this just bizarre article I read.  Did you hear?  Several large papers recently posted articles about how PETA's shelters have a 90% or higher kill rate, at least in the last  years.  Really, PETA?  I have completely lost all respect for this organization.  I have not been a fan of their tactics, showing horrifying photos of animal mistreatment is bad enough and really not the way to get people to listen to you.  Ad campaigns where they mock/attack a video game character for one of his costumes and comparing Thanksgiving turkeys to eating your pet dog are ridiculous and taking it to far in my opinion.  Now we find out that they are actually killing thousands upon thousands of shelter animals.  I will never support this organization again.  How about trying to be responsible instead of incendiary?

*****

Well, Paul won Top Chef.  Thank God.  Totally anti-climactic.  This was the worst season ever.  It was all team challenges and gimmicks, and I rarely saw the innovation, uniqueness or mouthwatering foods that I look forward to from this show.  I am not interested in who can not make a mistake after being forced to man a BBQ all night without getting heat stroke.  I really, really hope this was a fluke and Top Chef hasn't jumped the shark forever.

On another TC note, I was at Barnes & Noble browsing the new book tables and came across Gail Simmons Book "Talking With My Mouth Full: My Life as a Professional Eater" and I added it to my to-read list.  It would be interesting to read more of what she does when she's not on Top Chef.

*****

Sam was watching a video on YouTube yesterday and before the video there was a Proactiv commercial where Justin Bieber was going to surprise some fans. With a years supply of Proactiv...?? I mean, how crappy would you feel if your moment of elation that Justin Bieber was at your door was followed by the low of knowing he was there to give you acne medication for your pizza face???  What genius came up with this gimmick?

*****

So, I LOVE The Walking Dead and I recently was able to get my hands on all of the comics that have come out so far and totally devoured them.  So good!  It was interesting to see how the show diverges from the story in the comics (a lot), and I can't wait to keep reading.  I have to say that after reading them, I am hoping that recent show events lead to show Carl becoming a bit more like comic book Carl.  I also loved this week's episode because I feel like for the show to keep the right feel, there have to be big deaths - in fact, I'd kind of like to see them more often.  In any case, I would highly recommend both!

*****

I got some sad news from New Jersey this week.  Spooky, the sweet kitty who lived with my sister and stepmom, was killed by a car on Wednesday.  My stepmom is a total animal lover, and Spooky moved in a while ago after she had been taking care of him as a stray for a while.  Once he got used to being inside and around so many people all the time, he really warmed up and he loved to come and get petted.  We will miss having him around.

And with that, I'm all out of fragments.  I hope everyone has a nice weekend and gets to do something fun!


6 comments:

Heather - Acting Balanced Mom said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss... pets have a way of becoming important parts of the family.  I hope Justin Bieber knows who his fans really are.. my daughter would love a year's supply of proactiv.... but would not love to get it from JB...

Andrea SunnyDays said...

I've always thought PETA was weird, and the way they go about things ony make them look foolish and stupid. Good thing I've never given them any money.

I'm sorry about the cat. As much as my dog makes me barking crazy, I'd never want anything to happen to her.

Happy Friday!

Profwaynewsmith said...

Sorry about your family's pet.  

viridian61 said...

I agree about Top Chef - Paul as winner was pretty obvious.  Sometimes i wish I could sample the food - or at least smell it!

StarTraci said...

I'm so sorry about Spooky. I'm a cat lover and know the pain.

I agree that a year's supply of Proactiv is probably not what girls stay up dreaming about from Justin Bieber.

Happy Friday!
:-)
Traci

tettelestai said...

Wow, I had no idea about PETA.  Never been a fan anyway, but that seems so hypocritical (in the true sense).

I am sorry to hear about Snooky.  We don't have cats, but I love critters and am totally nuts about my dog.  How horrible!!  I hope your family didn't have to witness this tragedy!