October 20, 2011

Friday Fragments: Deer, oh Deer

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

I stopped by the only place I could find in town to ask about my broken camera lens.  A few months back, I dropped my camera.  I was kneeling and had the neck strap on, but I reached over to catch Sam because I thought he was falling, and the lens smacked the ground.  It was fine except now the autofocus doesn't work.  I don't mind using the manual focus in some situations, but when I'm trying to take pictures of the kids or things that are tricky or moving, I find a lot of my photos coming out blurry.  I was really hoping maybe it was just a stuck focus ring or something, but I found out this week that it's going to be cheaper to just buy a new one than try and get it fixed.  I am bummed because I want to start taking more pictures again, and we don't really have the money for a new lens right now.  I'll probably just buy a used one from Ebay, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to.  Bummer.

*****

A couple of weeks ago, the City Council in Topeka, KS voted to repeal a law against misdemeanor domestic battery.  Did you catch that?  They decided to basically LEGALIZE domestic violence.  Why?  Because it is becoming too expensive to uphold.  DOES NOT COMPUTE.  I am sickened by this.  They are specifying that they will not prosecute cases of domestic violence.  They will presumably continue to prosecute basic assault and battery cases.  It seems to me that this boils down to condoning domestic violence, and telling people who experience domestic violence that they are not important.  As if this country doesn't have enough of a problem with this already - a woman is battered every 12 seconds.  Maybe more.  And the geniuses over in Topeka have just given people a free pass on beating their wives.  I just don't understand.

*****

The other night, I happened to glance out my back window to see this:



I swear, it will NEVER get old to be able to look outside and see that, no matter how often it happens.



Danny was very excited about it, but the cat was unsure of what the heck those guys were doing in our yard.



*****

We FINALLY finished moving last weekend.  It took another full day and a 10 foot truck, but all of our stuff is now crammed into the garage at the new place.  I am itching to organize it so that I can park the car in there again, now I just have to find the time to do it somewhere.

*****

On Wednesday, I had my blog critique by Melissa from Momcomm.  It got me kind of excited, so I did some things around the blog.  Redesigned, cleaned up, and with a few new pages.  I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I am!

*****

Well, that's about it for this week.  I hope everyone has a great weekend!

4 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I am shocked at Kansas for repealing that domestic violence law.  That's awful; enjoyed your deer pictures! 

Stopping by from FF.

tettelestai said...

The domestic law thing is stupid, unless they are able to prosecute under the assault charge??    Not sure what that is all about.

I love seeing deer too, and heck ya, that never gets old!!

I thing your blog looks great!

Keetha Broyles said...

What fun to have deer right in your back yard!

subabaloo said...

That sucks about your camera... and you were doing everything right to prevent that exact thing from happening (wearing the strap). Ugh. I'm sending you good vibes for an unexpected windfall to pay for a new lens.
The deer outside your window? Priceless!