October 14, 2011

Friday Fragments: Book Edition

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

Today, I thought it would be fun to talk about books, since I love them so much.  I've been reading more lately, and I just love the feeling of getting lost in a good book and devouring the story.

Do you use Goodreads?  I forget when I discovered the website, I think some time earlier this year.  I LOVE it.  It's such a cool way to keep track of books that I want to read and what I've been reading.  Since I have a smart phone, if I find a book I am interested in, I can just pull my phone out and add it to my list.  It's so much easier than having scraps of paper floating around in my purse all the time.  I've had an ongoing goal of reading 50 books a year, and the last couple of years I didn't make it.  I am excited that this year, I am on track!  I got pretty behind, but I've been reading a lot the last month, and now I am only 2 books behind.  I think I might really do it this year.

*****

I read "Divergent" this week, and LOVED it.  It was recommended by Kim (Zoot), who has similar reading tastes as me.  I kind of love young adult dystopian world books.  That's pretty specific, isn't it?  But after reading The Hunger Games books, I was definitely open for suggestions of similar kinds of reading.  Now, I just feel like I'd like to sit around my house all day reading dystopian SciFi.  I can't wait to read more from Veronica Roth, unfortunately the next book in this series won't be out until next year.  AGH!  In the meantime, I've got a good little list of things to keep me going.  I started reading "Uglies" by Scott.  Here are some others I am looking forward to reading:
  • "Enclave" (Razorland #1) by Ann Aguirre
  • "Matched" (Matched, #1)by Ally Condie
  • "Rip Tide" (Dark Life, #2) by Kat Falls
  • "Delirium" (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
  • "Graceling" (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore
  • "The Stranger (The Labyrinths of Echo Book 1) by Max Frei 
  • "Directive 51" (Daybreak, #1) by John Barnes
  • "The Maze Runner" (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
  • "The Predicteds" by Christine Seifert
  • "Blood Red Road" (Dustlands, #1) by Moira Young
  • "Gone" (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant
  • "Unearthly" (Unearthly, #1by Cynthia Hand
  • "Life As We Knew It" (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Have you read any of these?  Any other suggestions?

*****

I am kind of excited that both of my book club choices for November are fiction and seem like they'll be fairly fast reads.  We're reading "One Day" by David Nicholls for one of them.  I have wanted to read it, and they've also made a movie out of it with Anne Hathaway, so maybe I'll watch it.  For my other book club we're reading "The Plain Truth" by Jodi Piccoult.  I enjoy her books, and find they are very easy to get lost in.

*****

There are some exciting new releases out this week that I can't wait to get my hands on.  There's a new Heroes of Olympus book from Rick Riordan.  I started with the Percy Jackson books and I loved them.  I've also read his Kane Chronicles books, which have to do with Egyptian history and mythology.  One of the reasons I love his books is because there is a lot of information in them and they're actually educational, but so much fun.  I'm also looking forward to checking out "The Night Strangers" by Chris Bohjalion.  He's been one of my favorite authors since I read "Midwives."

*****

What are you reading?  Who are your favorite authors?

4 comments:

Seattledad said...

I am reading blogs.  Night is my time to read books and I fall right asleep anymore.  How was Pirate Lattitudes anyway?

mimbles said...

I'm reading Stephen Fry's The Fry Chronicles and GRRM's A Dance With Dragons at the moment. Karen Healey's The Shattering is sitting on the top of my to read pile and I'm looking forward to Terry Pratchett's Snuff which I'm hoping someone will give me for my birthday next week :-)

I haven't read any on your list, though I have read Hunger Games and the Uglies series. Have you read John Marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began series? You might also like Karen Healey, her first novel was Guardian of the Dead, you can read one of her short stories online here: http://www.karenhealey.com/books/queen-of-the-kitchen/

Jene said...

I'm totally bookmarking this post for the list of dystopian fiction. I miss Hunger Games! I read Divergent, and it was good, but somewhat too predictable. I also picked up the first book in the Matched series a few weeks ago - it was better than Divergent, but still not Katniss and Peeta :(

Rachael1013 said...

We actually read Pirate Latitude as one of my book club books this year. I enjoyed it! I was not sure if I would, because I like pirate movies but haven't ever been much of a fan of pirate books or historical fiction really. It was entertaining, a pretty quick read (like most Crichton stuff), and I learned some interesting things about pirate life. If you're a Crichton fan, I would definitely check it out.