April 5, 2011

The Things We Miss

You know what I miss? Going a full day without anyone touching me. I love my kids, they are awesome. And it's wonderful that we have such a strong bond, but some days all I want is a big bubble around me so that no one can grab my nose, pull my hair, sit on my back, climb into my lap, hang from my neck, poke my stomach, put their hands in my mouth to feel my teeth, yank my earring, slobber on my arm, smear food all over my just washed pants, or honk my head with theirs.

I miss spontenaiety. Being able to leave the house without changing three outfits, making sure the diaper bag is stocked with diapers, extra pacifiers, wipes, outfits, formula, snacks, sippy cups, toys, and of course I can't forget my keys and wallet and cell phone.

One day I will sit and write about how I miss having my boys near me, how I miss tiny hands and feet. I will miss these days where we stay home all day and cuddle and snack and hang out in pjs all day. One day. One day I will have my body back to myself and maybe I will miss their touch... probably... definitely.

Just not today.

3 comments:

Jene said...

I find myself feeling the same way sometimes, and I just keep trying to remind myself that one day it will all come to an abrupt end. You never know which time will be the last time they crawl up in your lap. I can't even remember the last time I held Charlie like a baby, but I wish I had known when that moment was upon us so that I could have savored it just a little bit more.

Kori said...

I don't know, knowing that it will end someday doesn't help the her and now, does it? Every mother feels the same ways sometimes, i promise!

Jamie said...

Girl, I'm right there with you. I try to be patient, but sometimes it's like DON'T TOUCH ME! I usually snap that at my husband with an apology of "someone's been touching me all day!" I probably have crazy eyes when I say it.

Jene is right though. My oldest is 11. I don't remember the last time I held her. It makes me a little sad that I don't. Of course, she'd crawl into my lap right now if I asked her to. Maybe I should.