October 21, 2008

New Shows - My Take So Far

So, we're not far into the TV Season, but I've started watching a few new shows.  Here is my take on them so far...

Eleventh Hour:  New crime show by Jerry Bruckheimer about a guy who travels around saving people from "the worst abuses of science", whatever that means.  It's based on a British show, so I guess we'll see what Jerry Bruckheimer does with a convert.  Aside from The Office I am not recalling any recent shows that have been based on British shows that have been very good.  I find Rufus Sewell a little bit creepy.  Especially when he explains cloning by using grapes, then he eats one of them.  I don't like either of the main characters that much at this point, but maybe I'll get used to them.  I'm afraid that after the first episode, I'm a little bit worried about the scientific parts simply seeming ridiculous and unfeasable.  I'm afraid that Rufus Sewell's character might take on a Matlock-esque quality of explaining things to people and somehow making them see some kind of light, like Matlock getting everyone to confess on the stand.  I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I'm definitely undecided on this one.  

Fringe:  I love it.  I am a huge fan of JJ Abrams, so I expected to really like this show.  It's quite X-Files-ish, which of course is a plus to me.  I also admit here and now that I love Joshua Jackson.  Despite the fact that I know it's not his name, I always call him Pacey.  I am not sure why I like him so much, but I definitely like him in this show.  In any case, I'm definitely going to keep watching.  I was surprised that after only a few episodes I was drawn in to the whole conspiracy - the events, the corporation, all of it.  How does Abrams do it?  With Alias, and Lost, and now this.  I just hope that FOX doesn't fuck up and cancel it before it has a chance like so many other shows I've liked.  This one is my favorite new show!  

The Mentalist:  The Mentalist is a little bit like Psych.  Only without the hilarity.  And with more smarm.  And the guy doesn't pretend to be psychic, he used to pretend to be psychic and now he just uses tricks and hypnotizes people into giving the police information.  I like the story so far, but I'm not a HUGE fan of the main actor - Simon Baker.  I'm not sure if it's him, or if it's the character but I find his brand of 'charm' a little annoying.  It could go either way at this point, I'm not convinced it will last.  Psych has it's crack-you-up funniness, Medium has the down-homeness of Alison and her family, Ghost Whisperer has... uh, Ghosts.  I'm not sure that this show has enough of a unique angle to last.

True Blood:  I've only watched a couple of episodes so far.  One of the problems is that I went into it already thinking that I did NOT think that Anna Paquin was right for the Sookie character.  I still don't think so, and I am not sure I ever will.  Other than that it's okay so far.  I will have more to say about it when I watch a few more episodes (I'm behind...), I'm wondering if it has the staying power to last more than one season.  

Worst Week:  I've only watched one episode so far, and I laughed out loud several times.  I hope that it continues to be funny, and that it isn't just going to get really OLD after a couple of episodes.  

What is your favorite new show this year?

No comments: