October 14, 2008

Heads or Tails: Going Home




This week's theme for Heads or Tails is "Anything that starts with G". Today the only thing I can think of is "Going Home". Today is my last day of vacation. Tonight my sister and I will stay at a hotel near the airport so we can be close to catch our 7 AM flight tomorrow.

I'm not ready. I miss my husband and my son. I miss 2 year old cuddles and kisses. But I have found the last couple of times I've come to visit my stepmom and little sister when it comes time to leave I'm wishing I could have more time.

I want to keep working on the house, organizing, moving furniture, making improvements. I want to keep helping my little sister with her 5th grade homework and studying for tests. I want to keep hanging out with both my sisters and making cookies and jokes together.

My youngest sister is 10 years old. She just got a saxaphone, and she's really good at it - she has an ear for music. She isn't the best student, but we're all trying to help that along. She loves Webkinz and Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. She has long black hair and wears flannel pants and capri sweatpants and grey and purple skater shoes. She has way too many stuffed animals for one person. She has accumulated an amount of belongings in her 10 years that are almost unmanagable. She sleeps in a bunk bed with a cool new bedding set she got this summer. She's funny. She makes jokes and teases and I love the sound of laughter taking over her words as she tries to talk. And...

She lives in New Jersey. This year I was lucky, I've gotten to see her 3 times and will hopefully see her again at Christmastime. I just wish it could be more. But we live 3000 miles apart, and with school, work and finances, it just isn't always possible. I miss her when I'm gone.

And if that's bad, don't even get me started on leaving my Stepmom...

Later this week I'll probably be back to my regular blogging schedule. I'll come up with good ideas, I'll resume Movie Monday. It may be time to resume TV Tuesdays (or maybe Thursdays) now that the new seasons have started. I'll do Wordless Wednesday and Haiku Friday. I'll write about my family and what I've done that week and what got on my nerves, my hopes and fears.

For now, all I can think about is Going Home. Sometimes it's really hard.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame y'all can't live closer, but I understand. Our two older girls live 500 miles from us and our son, who is in the Marines, is in Hawaii right now. It's hard being separated from the people you love.

Anonymous said...

Awww... makes me a little sad. And, yeah, my mom just moved across the country, and I haven't seen her in a year! It's so hard to be away from folks who mean so much.

Barb said...

I wasn't close to my siblings.. but I understand living apart from those you love. When I got married (2nd time) I moved a few hours away from my kids and grandkids. I miss seeing them!

Your sister sounds fun. :)

Barb said...

PS.. I don't see you on the HoT blogroll, so I just added you.

Kori said...

Oh, I hope the trip home goes well, and htat the joy of seeing hubs/baby sort of make up for the pain of leaving. Did you send her that post?

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, that's a bittersweet feeling, for sure! Glad you have Christmas to look forward to, as well.

Leslie said...

I can see you smile as I read your proud words. You must be an awesome big sister. Sorry that you and your loved ones live so far apart. Hope you get to see them again soon.