May 29, 2009

Haiku Friday: WTF Edition

Haiku Friday

"proud non-reader of
books. I like to get infor-
mation from doing...

stuff like actually
talking to people and liv-
ing real life." Brilliant.

"I am not a fan
of books. I would never want
a book's autograph"

Then this gem: "Mom said
believe in my flyness and
conquer my shyness."

The "best" thing I read this week was definitely this article from Reuters: "Proud Non-reader Kanye West Turns Author". The article starts with the brilliantly written opening sentence: "Rapper Kanye West does not read books or respect them but nevertheless he has written one that he would like you to buy and read." Apparently the brilliant mind of our time, Kanye West, has managed to write a 52 page book. In which appear gems like "I hate the word hate!" spread amongst sparse text and blank pages. West refers to his wisdom as "Kanye-isms".

Apparently, this college dropout son of a university English professor things that books are kinda stupid. Of his mother, West said "She raised me to be the voice to allow people to think for themselves, to find their own way." What a tribute this book is to his mother, to whom it is dedicated. "Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. Well, Kanye, thank goodness your book is not WORDY. As for the self-absorbed part...

Here is what I learned:

1. Kanye West is awesome (in his own head)
2. I'm really, really glad that kids have this awesome role model to encourage them to read and learn.
3. Celebrities are brilliant.

***

"Shush girl, shut your lips,
do the Helen Keller and
talk with your hips" - WHAT?

Dude, what? These are some lyrics to the song "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3. In case you're perplexed by that name (as I was), it's Three Oh Three, which is the area code for Denver, which is where the recording studio is who put out the album containing this song (which I'm sure is just brilliant).

Why is this okay? I don't get it. Why is this in any way acceptable? Especially after how pissed people got about that Black Eyed Peas song. You know, the one where the original version is "Let's Get Retarded", but most people don't know that because they had to change it to "Let's Get it Started" to get it played on the radio.

Am I the only one who finds this a little bit appalling?

***

For more Friday Haiku's, click here.

4 comments:

Kori said...

Yes, isn't it SO lovely that our kids have such wonderful role models? WTF, indeed.

storyteller said...

This is one of MANY such things I find appalling! Sigh ...
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

That guy is such a douche.

Mrs. M said...

Ha ha - gotta love Kanye. Or not. I am visiting from SITS and wanted to pop in and say hi - and then I realized we are both Bellingham, WA SITS gals!! Good job on the weight loss too!!