May 25, 2009

Memorial Day: My Thanks

I didn't think much about soldiers, about troops, about men and women who served when I was younger. Until high school, when my best friend's brother joined the Air Force. And Clinton sent troops to Iraq. And I called my best friend to tell her. It sucked. And suddenly, it was someone I knew.
I don't agree with the war we're currently fighting. I don't think that it was ever the solution to the problem we were trying to solve. But I have a profound respect and gratitude for the men and women who serve in our military. I know that they do it for me, for my family, for my child.
They are the reason that my son will grow up in a place where he can walk outside whenever he wants to. Where he will get an education, he will be free to speak his mind, he will have food and clean water. They give their time, they give their strength, their bravery, and sometimes their lives. I am lucky that today I am not remembering people who have died in combat, because I have been lucky enough that the people I've known who have served have returned. My grandfathers, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law, one of my best friend's husbands (in the 2 pictures above).

Today we remember. Today I will pray for the families who have lost a loved one who fought for them, for me. Today I will pray that I will not have to say those kinds of prayers for the people who are still in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere in the world. Peace on Earth is a lot to ask for. And until we can achieve it, I will be indescribably thankful for those people who make peace at home possible for me.

Please leave comments about the people you know who are serving, who have served, or whose families need prayers today, and every day.

No comments: