May 28, 2009

Thursday Thirteen: If I Were a Rich Man

I was having a conversation with my sister the other day when we were in St. Louis, and we were talking about sending people flowers. I said that if I had a bunch of money, I would send flowers to people all the time. It makes people so happy, right? What a way to brighten someone's day. This week for the Thursday Thirteen, I decided to write about 13 things I would do if I were a millionaire. Or really, a thousand-aire. I don't need a million bucks. I'd be happy with 100,000 really. In any case, here's my list.

Thirteen Random Acts I'd Practice Regularly if I Were Rich
  1. Give good waiters REALLY big tips.
  2. Buy restaurant and store gift cards and carry them around so I could give them out to homeless/street people.
  3. Send lots of flowers to my friends and family.
  4. Have dinners delivered to my friends/family from their favorite restaurants once in a while.
  5. Pay for random people's gas fill-ups at the gas station.
  6. Randomly pay for strangers meals at restaurants or for the groceries/items of the person behind me in stores.
  7. Pay for my friends and family to have check-ups and go to the dentist.
  8. Pay for several people who can't afford to go to BlogHer to make that trip.
  9. Go to the movie theater and hand out movie gift cards to people who happen to be around.
  10. Buy hot/cold drinks (season applicable) to people who are at booths/tables outside (ie Salvation Army collectors, people selling Girl Scout Cookies, vendors at the farmers market, police/construction workers).
  11. Go to Target and hand out $20 gift cards to kids and teens and tell them to get a toy/dvd/cd for themselves.
  12. Pay for friends to have their oil changed, brakes checked etc. so they can be safe.
  13. Go downtown and fill people's parking meters.
Obviously these are just random things to make people happy, brighten their day, or help them out when they need it. I'd also love to be able to give more money to local charities and causes I believe in.

What would you do?

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Some great ideas here. I'd love to do any one of them. How about go to a random classroom and pay for new running shoes for the kids. I say this because my kids are soooo hard on shoes lol I'd love it if someone would pick up the tab now and then.
Great list.
Happy T13!

Americanising Desi said...

oooooooooooooooohhh now that is ultra richie rich :D

but a great list!!
http://fart-in-a-jar.blogspot.com/2009/05/thursday-13-sides-of-me.html

Anonymous said...

I LOOVE this. I often thought the same thing, but I guess they are the dreams of people who don't have money to give away. I do give to Kiva.org though.

Heather said...

My name Idobobo. (translates to Queen of Shake Shake) I live India. (translates - hell hole Alabama) I would like apply for #8.

Also. You win GPD$10,000,000,000,000. (tranlates US $1.00)

MommyBa said...

I'll put up a foundation each for the homeless and for people who'd like to study but can't.

you have a generous and big heart as seen through this post. i wish the politicians in our country would have the kind of thought and heart that you have and stop being corrupt so that they could start to think about the welfare of others.

happy thursday!

Chelle said...

I want to be standing next to you when you win the lottery-you are obviously a very generous person.

I loved this list :)

Goat Gal said...

I have paid for the person behind me at the Tim Horton's drive thru a few times. Usually it's not more thatn 5 dollars and they have a nice surprise when they get to the window. Just something folks can do without swimming in cash :)

http://sarahlscott.blogspot.com/2009/05/thursday-thirteen-things-i-learned.html

I am Harriet said...

I'm with ya. My list would be way longer :)

Unknown said...

Those are awesome ideas!! If only real rich folks did this, maybe us po' folks would have more respect for them ;)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You are truly generous and I hope you'll one day realize these goals. People like you make this world worthwhile.