May 8, 2009

I need your prayers - the not knowing is the hardest part

I've been on the phone for the last half hour. Tonight, my Dad got hit by a car. He is seemingly okay, although it's hard to tell from so far away. He lives in St. Louis and was on his way to a concert and crossing a street when the light changed, and a car hit him. I'm fairly certain that the car was probably going too fast since there would have been a lot of concert-goers around and they should probably have been being extra careful.

It's frustrating because the nurses couldn't tell me much over the phone. The nurse who called my stepmom went and got my Dad on the phone. It was awful to talk to him. He's probably on pain medication, he is obviously freaked out and on top of all of it, he seems to feel like it was sort of his fault. I think he's probably in shock. He couldn't tell me much, but one of his arms is badly broken and he said something about the doctor said something about putting casts on both arms. So maybe they are both broken. That's all he could tell me. It's all I know, and I want so badly to know more. The nurse said he was stable but they will probably admit him. I asked him to get someone to call/send a text message to me if he's admitted so we know what room he's in.

He thanked me for calling and I didn't have much to say other than that I hoped he was okay. When I said I loved him, he said it back and I could hear tears in his voice. I'm trying not to cry and to stay calm. It's probably going to be fine. But I need prayers now, so does my sister, and my Dad. Beyond just the shock of it, there are thoughts of the future. With two casts, will he be able to work? Who will help take care of him - he has some friends, but no family there. It is breaking my heart not to be with him right now. Will he still be able to kayak? Will he heal completely? Is he okay? The not knowing is the hardest part.

Lord, please bring me peace.

6 comments:

April said...

My best wishes to you and your family right now. Please keep us posted when you know more!

Unknown said...

I will keep him, your sister and you in my thoughts.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh Rachael...I will lift him up in prayer indeed!!

I'm so sorry this has happened. Please keep us informed.

Amy B said...

My heart sank when I read this. How scary. I am going to pray him today. And for you and your sister. I know this is hard for all of you. Please let us know how he is doing.

Mimi said...

I will be praying for all of you!

toddx said...

Rachael, I just read this. I hope you and you dad are doing okay. Positive thoughts headed your way.