February 23, 2009

Wii Are Having Fun!

On Saturday, Justin and I got a little time off from the kid and we stopped at Frye's down in Seattle. Frye's is a freaking ginormous electronics store. It's kind of like Best Buy but with more of everything and more technical stuff, tons of computer parts, appliances, DVDs, office furniture, books, movies, and random other stuff. We were there for over 2 hours and by the time we left I was completely EXHAUSTED. But...

I finally got a Wii Fit! I have been wanting one for a while because I've heard it's good and that it's fun, and I thought it would be really good for those days when I can't get to the gym, or don't get out. I can do it after Sam goes to bed at night, in my house, and still get in at least my 30 minutes of activity for the day.

So the night after we got it, we came home and I hooked it up and popped the game disc in. It weighed me and was very accurate. It's funny because after it weighs you it makes your little character fat. Ha! So basically, it comes with a balance board that you stand on. It can weigh you and tell where your center of balance is by how much weight you're putting on which foot on the board.

The Wii Fit comes with 4 types of exercise - Aerobic, Strength Training, Balance and Yoga. The Aerobic includes things like hula hooping and running in place, Strength Training includes things like pushups etc, Balance includes games where you have to place weight differently on each foot and Yoga has different yoga positions that you do while also working on your center of balance to make sure you're putting weight in the right places.

It's fun, yes, but do you know what was most surprising? It's freaking HARD! After three minutes of doing the hula hooping, I was totally sweating and breathing hard already. I like it a lot so far, because it's fun but it's definitely exercise. I did all of the yoga poses in there, and was surprised at how hard it was, but also how calming it can be. I've never done yoga today, and I'm excited about doing more of it. As you play and get higher scores, you unlock new games/yoga positions/aerobic activities etc.

So, here's to the beginning of a wonderful relationship with my gaming system! Who ever thought you'd see that on a weight loss blog?

1 comment:

Enz said...

My boys want a Wii...maybe now I can convince myself to get one...for them of course ;)