November 14, 2008

Sigh...

Dear Sam,

I know you are only two years old, and you don't always understand WHY. But for God's sake, PLEASE just go to sleep. It's an hour past your bedtime and you still fought like mad when I put you in your crib. I am in the living room right now listening to you cry. It hurts my heart to sit here and listen to it. Some nights, I am on the verge of tears myself. I wish that you knew that you need sleep now to have fun tomorrow, and that there was some way for me to explain that to you.

I feel like the meanest mommy in the whole wide world listening to you cry and knowing that you don't even have a pillow because you threw it out of your crib in a rage. You get so mad at bedtime, you try to hit me, and that hurts my feelings. I know you don't mean it, but I wish you knew that I don't either - I'm not trying to hurt you, but you can't stay up until 1 AM every night. It makes for a very tired and crabby Sam, and a very tired and crabby Mommy too. Your cries are breaking my heart right at the time of day when I REALLY need to wind down. Please Sammy, just go to sleep.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Rachael. Fighting with kids over sleep is SO hard. Mostly because by the time you're for them to sleep, you're almost ready to sleep yourself. No energy left! I'm sure you've tried almost everything but... is Sam still napping? I would lovingly suggest if he is and bedtime is so awful that maybe the nap should bite the dust. Becca no longer naps (except very occasionally) and bedtime is SO easy (and early). But she's always been pretty easy to get to sleep. Kylie, on the other hand, has always been our sleeping-challenged child.

Anyway, I'm wishing you and Sam (and Justin) sweet dreams and a quick end to these bedtime battles.

Justin said...

I was up until 3am in the Seattle area playing Gears of War 2 with friends. Guys night in... 6 hours of shooting people, then another hour driving home. So my bedtime battles consisted of machine guns and rocket launchers :)