September 20, 2010

Be-cause It's Important:: Water to Thrive

I wake up in the middle of the night, get up to go to the bathroom, and get myself a drink of water. It is clean and cold and satisfying.

I flush my toilet without a thought, the water swirls and cleans the bowl.

I run the water to warm it up and step into the shower. Some days, I stand under the stream of steaming water for an extra few minutes as my worries and tension flow down the drain.

I use it without thinking. My biggest problem is running out of hot water once in a while. How ignorant.

Imagine not being able to enjoy any of those things.

More than 3,500,000 people die every year because they lack something as essential as clean water, a basic human right. Worldwide, over a billion people lack access to clean water – that’s one out of every six people on the planet. As a result, an estimated 6,000 children die each day due to waterborne disease. 84 percent of water-related deaths are children under the age of 14.

So, what can we do? Get involved with Water to Thrive. Who are they? From their website:

Water to Thrive is a faith-based non-profit that transforms lives through the gift of clean water. Our vision is of a world where we share our abundance to provide health, hope, and water to all. Our current efforts are supporting rural and impoverished communities in Ethiopia and Sierra Leone. Help us change lives. Give the gift of water.

I especially love the part I highlighted in red. How beautiful. How necessary in this world. If that's not enough, just tell me this doesn't touch your heart:

When seeing water pumped from a well for her first time, a woman asked, “Where does this water come from? The mountains? The rivers?” When told it came from under the very ground on which she stood, she buried her face in her hands and through tears, she replied, “You mean I’ve been sleeping on it all of these years?”

We can be a part of something bigger.

This post is part of Blog for a Cause, a monthly meme created by Nirvana Mama to encourage and allow bloggers to use our bloggy power in an amazing way. Every month, the participating bloggers will post to bring awareness to the causes that are important to us in this world. We'll provide information to try and open other people's eyes to those that need our help and compassion in this world. If you'd like to learn more, or get involved, just click the button!


1 comment:

Making It Work Mom said...

Thanks for the information about the cause! Honestly something I have never thought of before. I appreciate it.