August 11, 2008

My Confessional

Since I'm on vacation this week, I have arranged for some of the fabulous bloggers I admire to drop in to Scientific Nature of the Whammy and keep you entertained. Today I feel super lucky to have Maria from Immoral Matriarch as my first guest poster ever! I discovered Maria's blog early on when I decided to start blogging and trying to become part of this community. After I changed the blog template, Maria gave me some great advice that helped me clean up my blog and make it more readable. I always find her posts intelligent, entertaining, and touching, whether it's pictures of her adorable kids or talk about the latest great TV show she's found or her recap of Blogher. Enjoy her post here, then go visit her - you will be glad you did!

My Confessional

I have a problem.
It's an obsession, an addiction, an unhealthily craze that consumes me completely.
It takes all of my money, even when I don't have any. I've been known to choose it over feeding my children.
Well not really, but I'll be at that point soon enough.

I am obsessed with, addicted to, unhealthily crazed by movies.

This is Maria by the way, and if you know me you may know me better by Immoral Matriarch. Rachael is too busy or something to blog [is that even possible? I don't get it.] and asked me to fill in for her. I figured this was a safe haven to admit to my condition, since she has this problem too, and thus cannot judge me.

Movies have always been a passion of mine. I never have had a dream to make them, or star in them other than my fantasy that would put me in a Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Joaquin Phoenix and Jake Gyllenhaal sandwich, but I've always loved to watch them. I'm the person that will literally be on the edge of my seat in suspense, that will get goosebumps from a good score, that will fight back tears at the climax.

They offer an escape from the mundane, a chance to indulge my inner sociopath, a reason to laugh when it seems that the world is crumbling around me. I can turn to them in my darkest hour or my brightest point. I love them. I have no favorite genre or style, I will watch any type, and kind, on any subject. I love the Oscar winners and the SciFi Originals. I am the harshest critique, the biggest fan, the most welcoming yet discriminating movie goer there is.

But I have another confession. Another addiction.
I am obsessed with, addicted to, unhealthily crazed by television. Dramas and sitcoms, cartoons, some reality and all things VH1. I obsessively fill and empty my DVR, and I'm constantly searching for the nest big show. I take it as a personal attack when someone disses Heroes, I mailed boxes of Rice-A-Roni to NBC as a part of the save Journeyman campaign and I can give you an accurate synopsis of just about every Law & Order and Law & Order spinoff episode ever made.

I develop crushes on, relationships with and hatred for characters. I'll defend the genius of Spongebob when he's under attack, and root for my favorite money grubbing hooker on Rock of Love like I was related to her. I love television. Almost all of it. But still, not much of it. It keeps me from working out to lose this belly. It assists me in maintaining my lack of stamina and need for Krispy Kreme and Doritos. It is a gift and a curse.

I have these problems, but instead of trying to eliminate them from my life, I have decided to embrace them, and bring them fully into being with my other addiction: the internet. I am starting a new subdomain for my blog, that will focus solely on movies and television, with a bit of music and celebrity gossip thrown in for good measure.

I'm asking for your assistance here, if you're willing to give it. I'll make it worth your while. I promise.

3 comments:

Miss said...

This is nothing to be ashamed of Maria. I feel very much the same way ;-) *muah* great guest post!

sybil law said...

Freak.
:D
Seriously, I watch tv, but not near as much as I used to - and I don't miss it at all! Now when winter comes.... we'll talk again.

Karen MEG said...

I used to be hooked on all things entertainment; but now I have to fight with the kids, and I'm just too, too tired.

Great guest post, Maria ;)