May 14, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife

I finally finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Nifenegger. If you haven't read this, you should go out and buy it. I only got about 1/10 of the way into it before I knew that it would be one of the best books I've read, and a new favorite. It is a poingaint love story, with a longing spoken of that is as old as time, yet told in a completely new way. Henry is a time traveller. But unlike other science fiction stories, he is neither in control of his time travel, nor does he choose to make his frequent trips to the fast and future. Clare, his future wife, first meets Henry when she is six. Henry first meets Clare when he is 28. Amazingly told, heartwrenching and beautiful, the book brought me to tears several times. The story is told both from Henry's point of view and from Clare's, and the love they share transcends space and time. I can't wait to see her next novel, whenever it may come.

PS My husband just cracked up at the name W.W. Wordsworth, which I thought was pretty funny.

1 comment:

Isabel said...

I keep meaning to read this book. I hear it's so good...but the descriptions just don't sound good to me.

Whatever....I need to just read it.

Glad you enjoyed it!