May 1, 2008

Friend 4: Justin

My Thursday friend is Justin. Justin is my husband, and one of my best friends.

We met when we were both 19. At that time, we were both working at the newly opened VoiceStream call center in Bellingham. I was in the escalation queue, which meant that when a customer asked for a supervisor, they'd be transferred to me first (yeah, when you ask for a supervisor you most likely aren't getting one the first time). After I got off the phone with the customer, I e-mailed Justin to let him know what I'd done to resolve the situation. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our first 'date' was shopping at the mall. Justin got being embarrassed out of the way early by breaking a martini glass candle at a department store. Our first official date was to the VoiceStream holiday party on December 4, 1999. I actually have a picture of our first date...


We moved in together early on - we were spending so much time together that it was pointless for us to both be paying rent when we were together all the time anyway. Justin moved in with me, and Sati, who I wrote about on Tuesday. Of course, as a 27 year old I can look back with 20/20 hindsight and see that THAT was sort of a dumb idea. Luckily, after a couple of months Sati found a new apartment and our friendship was preserved, and I am so, so glad.

Justin and I talked about getting married early - within a few months of meeting. We weren't talking about getting married right then, just 'someday', and we didn't tell anyone else, because we were 19 and they would have thought we were crazy. When we'd been dating for about a year, we moved to the Seattle area - Justin got a job at VoiceStream corporate and I went to finish my Bachelor's Degree at the University of Washington.

On October 27, 2001, Justin and I were on a vacation in Phoenix, AZ. We visited his Aunt & Uncle, who have a gorgeous home which they have opened up to us several times, and has been one of the most relaxing vacation spots I've known. We went to Sedona overnight, went to the Grand Canyon. It was a gorgeous day and we were walking around near a stream in Sedona when Justin got down on one knee and pulled out a gorgeous ring and asked me to be his wife.


We were married almost two years later in July of 2003.


I think one of the reasons our relationship has worked so well is because we are so close as friends. We've been through our parent's divorces, two years of trying to have a baby, and many moves. Justin stuck by me even when I didn't know how depression and anxiety were affecting my life and helped me to feel okay about myself when I finally got help and got on the wonderful thing I now refer to as 'happy pills'. He is an amazing man and a wonderful father.


I see myself growing old with him, sharing jokes and hugs, and fun, raising our children together and enjoying each other's company. I know I'm not doing Justin justice at all with this description. I don't know where I would be without him.

No comments: