May 8, 2008

The Swell Season, Iron Man, and Random TV Thoughts

The Swell Season: I went to an amazing concert last Wednesday and never got a chance to write about it. My friend Violet and I went to see The Swell Season at the Moore Theater in Seattle. We decided not to go for the opening act since Violet was leaving her 5 month old daughter at home for one of the only times ever. We somehow managed to arrive at the top of the five flights of stairs (not exaggerating) we had to climb to get to our seats RIGHT as Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova took the stage. Excellent. Despite the fact that we were about 3000 feet above the stage at the very top of the theater, it's not that big a venue and we could see okay. The only unfortunate thing was that there was a speaker hanging down so we couldn't see the person playing the piano (Marketa for the majority of the concert). They did a bunch of songs from 'Once' and others I hadn't heard. I always love it when musicians give stories behind their songs, and there was much of that, my favorite being a crazy story about a song inspired by two souls who had been burned at the stake for being retarded in the 1400s and wandered about in the dark until recently. 'Once' was my favorite movie of the year last year, and if you haven't seen it yet, you should go out and rent it right now. If you're not a movie fan, buy the soundtrack, you won't be disappointed.

Iron Man: AWESOME! I went and saw Ironman on Sunday with Violet and my cousin. It was SO GOOD. I loved it. I am a huge fan of comic book movies, and will even go so far as to see them even if I don't think they're going to be that good (coughghostridercough) just to support the genre. Then every once in a while one comes along that is so good it validates my supporting it. The last one I liked to this degree was 300, which I didn't even expect to like that much. And yes, I realize that is a graphic novel and I know the difference, but it's still the same genre in many ways. Robert Downey Jr. was so good as Tony Stark. Maybe it's because that's partly how he really is, I don't know. But he did a great job, and the graphics and everything were amazing. Also, Jeff Bridges is REALLY creepy with no hair. What's up with that? It was so good I want to see it again.

ER: Why was last week's episode of ER actually pretty good? I can't stop watching it even though it's been on the air for 57 years and the plots repeat. I just can't give up now, it's like when you're in a line and at some point you cross that threshold where you kind of want to give up and go home, but you've already invested so much time in the line you can't bear the thought of giving up your spot. I can't stop watching ER. I actually have really enjoyed the progression of the Morris character. I remember HATING him when he first arrived, which I guess you were supposed to, but now I just feel like I want to be his friend...

Grey's Anatomy: I thought last week's episode was really good, and it brought the tears (when DOESN'T it, really). There is always some random scene that affects me, and this time it was Miranda and Addisons conversation in the scrub room. I like Private Practice okay, but I think I'd be happier if Addison was just back on Grey's.

Battlestar Galactica: I haven't watched last week's episode yet because we had company in town. But I have REALLY been enjoying this season, and I'm fascinated by the whole Cylons vs. Cylons thing that is going on right now. I read today that Esai Morales, who recently starred in the second season of Jericho, will take the role of Joseph Adama on the new series Caprica. Interesting....

American Idol: All I want to say is that people made the right choice this week. Blech on you Jason. I hope Syesha wins.

Top Chef: I don't like Dale, and I hope he doesn't win. I do love Richard. He is awesome, and I thought he was so cute in the wedding episode, all happy to be at the wedding. He just seems like a nice guy, and that he knows what he's doing. I'm rooting for him.

ANTM: Goodbye Dominique! Thank goodness... As a heavy girl, I am of course rooting for Whitney. She's just so sassy and cute!

Okay, that's all for now. I'm tired and my eyeballs are about to fall out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Re: Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark.

My theory is that it's because Tony Stark is a cocky, womanizing, alcoholic genius.

So all Downey had to learn how to do was act like a genius.