December 6, 2010

30 Days of Truth Day 8: White Pants Porsche Jerk

The prompt for Day 8 of 30 Days of Truth is "Someone who made your life hell, or treated you like shit."

I pulled into the parking lot at Shari's, swinging into a spot next to a small silver Porsche. I glanced over and saw that the guy in the drivers seat was talking on his bluetooth. He wore a buttoned up shirt and had styled hair.

As I got out of my car, my door tapped his car.

He got out of his car. Now imagine the most condescending voice you have ever heard.

"Did you just hit my car?!"

Incredulous and entitled. I remember he was wearing white pants, and really that was a bad sign because what kind of jerk-ass wears WHITE SLACKS outside of the Hamptons?

"I'm not sure..."

"You just hit my car!"

His exact words stuck in my head for a long time. Now they've faded, but I still feel prickly when I think about it.

I remember his exact tone of voice as he told me that I should be more careful. I can clearly recall the absolute contempt in his voice when he told me without saying it outright how stupid I was. I remember how small I felt, and how well he sent me the message that I was a stupid kid and he was obviously completely above me.

Who talks to another person that way? I understand having a nice car and caring about it. But we're talking about a mark - not even a scratch - that was barely visible to the naked eye, and could have been taken care of for less than $10 bucks with something from Schuck's. I offered to pay for it of course, but he obviously pitied me and my stupidity too much to take anything from me, and got back in his car and drove away.

My face was burning, and I had to hold back tears of embarrassment, shame, and general awful feelings for my entire meal.

This happened a couple of years ago. I think maybe Sam was with me, but I can't really remember. I do remember how utterly worthless this guy made me feel. I remember how much I wished I could disappear.

See the other 29 days here
.

1 comment:

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Ugh - I'm so sorry! That is terribly sad - hopefully he's since learned his lesson and regrets treating you that way.