June 3, 2009

What's Bugging You?

You know those things out there that just get on your NERVES? The things that you can't help being annoyed or even angered by, those things that are the life equivalent of the noise of fingernails on a blackboard? Yeah, you know what I mean. Let's talk about those for a while...


Thirteen Random Things That Annoy Me/Piss Me Off
  1. Dreadlocks on white people. This is annoying and a little gross to me. That is not cool. Black people's hair is different than yours. When you have dreadlocks, you have MATS in your hair. Like a dog who got too dirty and couldn't get clean. The annoyance turns to being pissed off and disgusted when I see you with your dirty dreadlocks with your THREE little girls, all with hair past their shoulders full of tangles, mats and dreads. Why not just cut it off? Ew.
  2. These words: sack, soiled, chutney, scrapbooking, pus, boil, dipstick... I know there are more, but of course I can't think of them now that I'm making a list. I think that's some kind of universal law.
  3. Sunburn. Yeah, it happens every year. I let it happen. Why? I don't know. I know it's bad for me, and I own sunscreen. It hurts and makes me even hotter - speaking of which, 83 degrees on June 3? REALLY? Sigh... Add the sunburn to the fact that my house has no circulation and I am roasting. And I know that once it stops hurting it's probably just going to itch, so I have that to look forward to.
  4. People who use text language out loud. Really? There is a reason that text and instant messaging use abbreviations. Because when you read OMFG, you already know what it means. It saves keystrokes. Do you know what happens when you SAY OMFG out loud? You save ONE SYLLABLE. Is it worth it? Because you sound dumb.
  5. Parents who take their children to completely inappropriate movies. We went to the movies last night, and the movies showing at the theater were: Dance Movie, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Terminator, and Drag Me to Hell. As we walked in at 7:40, the only possible movies they could have been going to were Drag Me To Hell or Dance Flick. We saw some people with a little girl, couldn't have been more than 2, heading into one of these movies. Not only does it annoy me because of inappropriateness, but also because really? Isn't that going to be hella boring for your kid? How are they even going to be able to understand anything? My kid would be a total pain in my ass at any of those movies.
  6. My son's bedtime antics. Tonight, Sam finally went to sleep at 11:00. Most nights, he falls asleep between 10 and 10:45. No matter when we start bedtime, he is awake and talking, messing around, flopping and flipping and whatever until then. We have tried bedtime routines, baths, books, etc. Nothing works. If we put him in his bed and leave he gets up. If we put him into the crib, he cries. For a long time. It sucks. I don't know if we just need to go back to the crib and let him cry it out even if it takes a couple of hours, and it will get better or what. It's frustrating. For a long time, he was going to bed between 8 and 8:30 and that was great. I actually had time in the evenings to talk with Justin, I wasn't likely to fall asleep in Sam's bed with him like I do half the time now. Now he stays up until 10 or 10:30 pretty much every night, then wakes at 8:30 or 9 and doesn't nap. How does he get the energy?!
  7. Laundry. It never ends. I can't keep up. Enough said.
  8. People who like to judge other people without the facts. I'm not going to say a ton about it now, because there's another whole post here, but seriously? Anyone who stands outside an abortion clinic with a terrible sign and yells at people who are going in to have the WORST DAY OF THEIR LIFE because they have to do a third term termination because their baby (who they already love) has zero chance of survival? ASSHOLES.
  9. My laptop's temperature. Because my house isn't hot enough already (it's like 85 degrees in here) and my sunburn isn't making me hotter, I can't enjoy my great bloggy reading without getting even hotter.
  10. When decisions I made come up and I can't remember why I made them. I called the endocrinologist today to find out when my appointment is because I knew it was coming up in the next 2 weeks. It's on the 11th. At 8:15 AM. WTF?! Why would I make an appointment for myself at 8:15 am? Most days, we're not even UP at that time. What was I thinking?!
  11. The fact that I never get to sleep in. Ever. Even on weekends, Justin is usually up late and if he's not all the way awake, Sam will just make me get up. And even if Justin is awake, a lot of the time (almost every night) Sam ends up in bed with me at some point, so when he gets up, I get up. No choice. I would like to sleep in one day. Just until like 11. Pleeeeease...?
  12. Pants with words on the butt. Especially on little girls. Gross.
  13. The holes in my brain. I know that I totally had other things that annoyed me in my head about an hour ago, when I was trapped in Sam's bed trying to get him to go to sleep. I think of brilliant things, then when I finally get to sit down in front of the laptop, they have fled. How freaking annoying is that? Ugh.
So, what got on your nerves this week? Or on a regular basis? Or whenever? Tell me what pisses you off!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

13 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Excellent!!!!!

Dreadlocks on white people? I've not seen this. And to be truthful, I don't think I'd want to.

My Thirteen is posted...a message to all cats/dogs AND their owners. All in fun! Happy day wishes to you....

Carleen said...

7, 8, and 10 -- yes, yes, and YES! Happy TT to you.

I am Harriet said...

I don't quite get the dreadlocks thing either. But, I'm kinda old too :)
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovin-thursday.html

Kori said...

See now, I don't mind the dreadlocks thign on people, because I hate my hair and would do dreads if I could. I have seen a couple of beautiful white people heads of dreads; the key is maintenance. I think. Or naturally great hair no matter what you do, which frankly pisses me off because I don't have it. Words o nthe butt? My blood pressure INSTANTLY rises when I see that.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I agree with Kori on the dreads. Maintenance is the key!! My daughter's boyfriend has them ( she did his hair actually) and he keeps it clean and she works it. It looks good on him!!

I hate when people bring young children into movies like that!!

Chelle said...

Wow, my list would be a lot longer than 13. I am so totally with you on #8.

sherilee said...

Great post! I am with you on the laptop temperature, as well as the text-message-speak... when did that become OK? And the little kids to inappropriate movies... don't get me started on that!

Thanks for sharing.

http://sweetteasunshine.blogspot.com/2009/06/thursday-13-thirteen-favorite-pasta.html

storyteller's other blog said...

Hmmm ... many of these things irritate ME too ... especially laundry and the temperature of my laptop ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

4. saying WTF out loud taks more effort and syllables than saying the words it stands for - and it just sounds weird

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

All good points. Except for that not using sunscreen part. I'm not great with it, but man, I get scared thinking about dying of something as stupid as skin cancer. At least give me something dignified -- but I'm not going to say what. I'm afraid to give the universe ideas.

Mitchypoo said...

Very valid points on many of these. My list is long and varied. Great list!

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Great list. I am especially with you on 1,4,5,8 & 12!

Unknown said...

Scrapbooking...are you against the word itself or the hobby?
Text speak...yeah I hate that too. It has become a bloody annoying habit for my daughter. I. Hate. It!!