June 18, 2009

SYTCD Top 18: Performance & Elimination Recap

I missed blogging about the auditions and top 20 show, but if you think that makes me any less obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance, then you are a crazy person. Last night? The top 18 performed. And Cat Deely wore an ugly dress, but what else is new? I mean, seriously? WTF was up with that humongous ruffle?

Randi & Evan
Style: Jive
Choreographer: Louis Van Amstel
Song: "Shake a Tail Feather" by Ray Charles


I just think that Evan is adorable. I'm interested to see how he does in the rest of the competition, like when he has to do hip hop. I liked what this choreographer did last week, and I think he's new to the show this season. Loved her dress! LOVED the shimmies, and his jump over her? Impressive! I thought they were very good! Their synchronization was pretty on too. They seem to be a good fit as a couple.

Melissa & Ade
Style: Jazz
Choreographer: Sonya Tayeh
Song: "24 Hours (Ashton Shuffle A-Bomb Remix)" by Terry Poison

Jazz. My challenge. I am trying to "get it", but am not there yet. Somehow those tights made her legs look enormous and muscular. I guess it's no surprise that I didn't really care for the routine. I didn't hate it or think it was bad, I just didn't really care about it. I guess it was good since the judges liked it, but I wonder how many people out there won't get it like me.

Caitlin & Jason
Style: Hip Hop
Choreographer: Shane Sparks
Song: "Missin You" by Trey Songz

Holy crap. 4 year old Jason doing Michael Jackson?! SO CUTE! And? He is still just so DARN CUTE. I really like Shane Sparks so I was happy he choreographed 2 routines last night. I thought he was definitely more believable as a hip hop dancer than she was. He had that sort of jerky movement, there were parts where I felt like she was a little too smooth.

Janette & Brandon
Style: Disco
Choreographer: Doriana Sanchez
Song: "Loving Is Really My Game" by Brainstorm

You know what always hits me about Disco? It's FREAKING FAST. I would literally have a heart attack and die. I thought they were pretty great and their lifts and tricks were awesome. Wow.

Asuka & Vitolio
Style: Waltz
Choreographer: Louis Van Amstel
Song: "Dreams are More Precious" by Enya

For a long time I thought her name was Oscar and I was confused. Just saying. But, they are two of my favorites. I agree with Louis that Vitolio's story is incredibly compelling. I'm not always a huge waltz fan, and I really wanted to connect with this one knowing that Louis wanted it to be painful/heartbreaking and I just didn't feel it. Mary did. I guess maybe it was a case of not seeing the full beauty of it because I wasn't there. I'm not versed in ballroom, and I don't see those little things always. I thought Asuka looked gorgeous.

Kayla & Max
Style: Pop Jazz
Choreographer: Brian Friedman
Song: "Hot Like Wow" by Nadia Oh

When I heard the story, I was excited to see the routine. Loved teh music. And her costume? Really cool. I feel like throwing the pop element in with the jazz makes a huge difference for me personally. I really liked this routine and I thought they played their characters really well.

Karla & Jonathan
Style: Contemporary
Choreographer: Stacey Tookey
Song: "Falling Slowly" by The Frames

Okay, first things first. The Frames? Are absolutely amazing. And if you haven't seen the movie "Once", you need to see it because it is absolutely gorgeous. That lift where she curled up in his arms? Was beautiful. I thought they were beautiful. that part where she was hanging from his shoulders as he hugged her? Lifting her chin with his hand? It was just absolutely gorgeous.

Jeanine & Phillip
Style: Tango
Choreographer: Tony Meredith
Song: "Violento (Up Mix)" by Bailango!

Well, this should be interesting. That's what I thought during the rehearsal clips. I thought they had really good chemistry. Sometimes I felt like her movements were a little hesitant. I liked that lift where she sort of sat on his leg. I thought that overall they did fairly well for never having done it before, but I'm not sure that's enough to keep them out of the bottom 3.

Ashley & Kupono
Style: Hip Hop
Choreographer: Shane Sparks
Song: "Imma Be" by the Black Eyed Peas

100 miles per hour with confidence, skill and doing it in unison? Tough. I love Kupono's lists. I loved the concept. I thought they did pretty well, but I'm not sure it was hard hitting enough. So I listened to what Li'l C had to say! Not great.

Predictions for bottom 3: Melissa & Ade, Jeanine & Phillip, Ashley & Kupono

I was right about Ashley & Kupono. Not about the others though, the other 2 couples in the bottom were Jason & Caitlin and Max & Kayla. Ashley and Max ended up getting cut, which means next week we'll have a new couple with Kayla & Kupono.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE SYTYCD!

Cynthia said...

Love this show...

Looks great in here:)

Melanie said...

Love SYTYCD. I really thought Phillip would be in the bottom three until I remembered for some reason he has a big following.

Brooke said...

i always feel bad for the people who get cut. but i'm excited to see that the other broadway dude (who's name escapes me at the moment) will be on next season - at least in vegas!

jmt said...

Alright, I might have you make you a weekly check-in stop for myself while SYTYCD is on. I LOVE this show and I really liked your takes on the dances. My takes, even though we know the results...? I can't get past Evan as an Oompa Loompa..I'm really trying. He's sweet and funny.
I'm a huge Melissa and Ade fan. My top so far.
The way they pronounce Asuka's name is actually sort of "typical" I think for the Japanese pronunciation. I THINK. My sis-in-law is Japanese and when we went to visit them while they lived in Japan there was a portion of Tokyo...ok,that's a long story. Suffice it to say I think the elimination of the U is typical.
I don't want to take up the entire comment section so I'll stop. But I'll probably be back....for dance check-ups. :) Happy SITS and Fri DAY.

Amy B. said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who puts this much thought into SYTYCD! Maybe my inner judge was having an off not, but I really enjoyed A and K's hip-hop routine.

Trina said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE SYTYCD! Oh did I mention that I love SYTYCD? For the past two years my boys and I have gone to the live show at our local areana. They love the show too and have been inspired to dance (hip hop), and they're pretty good.

I did get the jazz routine and I love Sonya. Loved the contemporary and I always love the Shane Sparks booty routines. It's just to bad the dancers cannot execute Shane's routines.

My favorite thing about SYTYCD is the music. I have been introduced to so many new artist like Adele (Hometown Glory), Estelle (American Boy), Micah (The Garden), etc. This show has provided some great songs for working out to. Sorry so long.

Shannon said...

Woo hoo! LOVE this show (as you already know)

I'm rooting for Evan to go all the way! Loved him last year... and was so sad when he didn't make it into the Top 20. I literally squealed when he came back to audition this year. I've seen him do hip-hop so I think he'll be ok with that... what I'm worried about for him is when they get into the Top 10 and start switching up partners. Can you see him dancing with someone taller than him, like Kayla??? I don't know how that's gonna go down...


Phillip is one of my faves, too. I've been rooting for this guy since Season 3! It's great to see him finally on the show.


OMGosh, and don't even get me started on the clip they showed of Evan's bro auditioning in L.A.! Ryan is so a-dork-able! I swear, if he doesn't make it into the Top 20 for next season, Nigel is going to get one scathing letter from this livid woman!