March 30, 2009

Punk Goes Pop

Justin and I were at Hot Topic the other day looking at T-shirts and they had a display of CDs up at the register. We picked a copy up to look at it, and it was Punk Goes Pop Vol 2. Since it was on sale for only ten bucks, we decided to buy it. We listened to it on our date night in the car, and it was great! The description from Amazon says: "The eighth release in this compilation series features hardcore/alternative/emo bands covering chart topping songs from the likes of Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, Rob Thomas, Sean Kingston, and more. The line up includes Chiodos, Escape The Fate, Mayday Parade, Silverstein, August Burns Red, Bayside, and more."

A couple of the songs (Baby One More Time especially) were a little too metal for my taste. I can deal with yelling in music, but when it turns into screaming it isn't really enjoyable for me to listen to anymore. My favorites on the CD are Toxic (Britney Spears) covered by A Static Lullaby, When I Grow Up (Pussycat Dolls) covered by Mayday Parade and Love Song (Sara Bareilles) covered by Four Year Strong. I absolutely hate the Pussycat Dolls, but it turns out the song isn't so bad as long as it's not them performing it.

I don't listen to punk very often, but when I do, I realize how much I like it. It puts me in a good mood. I definitely recommend this, it's fun to listen to and a great one for driving around with the windows down on a sunny day. I didn't realize when we bought it that it was Vol 2, but now I really want to get Vol 1. The "Punk Goes..." line is put out by Fearless Records and includes other CDs like "Punk Goes Metal" and "Punk Goes 80s".

On a side note, we also scored a DVD copy of the live action Super Mario Bros movie, which I didn't know existed, but was also only $10 and rated PG, for my best friend's daughter's birthday.

No comments: