January 8, 2013

Find me at Your Movie Madness!

In December, the husband of a neighbor and friend who is in the film industry started a Facebook page (soon to be full website) for movie reviews.  Writing for an entertainment website is something I've wanted to do for a long time, so I contacted him to ask if they were looking for reviewers.  After submitting a review, I was able to join the team at Your Movie Madness!

I am very excited about it, and will be writing 2-3 reviews per week and am planning on posting links here, as well as linking to them from my Movies Watched list.  I've seen preliminary designs for the website that will hopefully be up in the next couple of weeks, and it's sleek and clean.  I'll be sure to post a link as soon as it's up.  In the meantime, here are the three I've written so far!

Trouble With the Curve - 7/10
I missed Trouble With the Curve the first time around, but with the opening of a brand new theater in Bellingham I had the chance to see it on the big screen. I generally love a good inspirational sports movie, and I thought it looked like a touching story with some laughs along the way. This movie marks the first directing project for Robert Lorenz, who was the First Assistant Director for Eastwood on Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby. keep reading

This is 40 - 7/10 (10/10 for Soundtrack)
Judd Apatow is on my list. You know the one. The one you keep in your head of directors, writers, and actors whose movies are a given - you WILL be there. He has written and produced some of the funniest movies I’ve seen in the past 10 years, so I was excited when I started seeing previews for This is 40 a few months ago. I went to see it on December 22, the day after it was released in theaters. keep reading

Les Miserables - 7/10
It took me about 10 viewings of the theatrical preview for Les Miserables before I could watch it without crying. I have long been a fan of musicals, and if I could have any job in the world, I’d sing on stage (SO far from reality). Somehow, I hadn’t seen the stage production of Les Miserables until a bit over a year ago when it came to Seattle. Instant love. The film adaptation is directed by Tom Hooper, who won best director in 2011 for The King’s Speech. keep reading

Jack Reacher - 5/10
Truth: I have been really on-the-fence about Tom Cruise for several years now. I have never exactly been a member of his fan club, or one of those women who swoons over him, but some of his behavior has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have friends who won’t watch any of his movies anymore, but I’m still willing depending on the movie. When I saw the previews for Jack Reacher, I was not super excited but figured I’d probably go see it as I am a big fan of police/military type procedural movies. I didn’t realize until after the fact that this movie was directed by Christopher McQuarrie, who won the best screenplay Oscar in 1996 for The Usual Suspects, one of my all time favorite detective mysteries. That would have definitely contributed to my decision to see this one! keep reading

No comments: