June 5, 2006

Can you believe it's beena whole month?

Sam is one month old already! Can you believe it? I hardly can either. He is definitely looking more like a pudgy cheeked baby now and not an infant anymore. He's still in newborn sized clothes, but they actually fit him now and I think soon he'll be fitting much better into some of his 0-3 month sized clothes. I haven't posted in a while, so here's an update on what's been going on for the past week, and with Sam!

On Monday, we headed up to Bellingham for a Memorial Day BBQ at Justin's Dad's place. It was fun to hang out with all of Justin's nieces and nephews, and Sam got to meet lots of family members he hadn't met before. We got an excersaucer from Scott & Michelle, which is great, and I'm sure Sam will be using it before we know it. After the BBQ we stopped and visited and let Sam meet Marshall & Katie, some friends of Justin's who are getting married in just under a month! Then we headed over to Mom & Keith's to hang out for the night and stayed overnight. It was Sam's first night away from home, and he did great. He is also still enjoying his infant seat and falls asleep almost every time we go anywhere in the car.

Tuesday we headed home fairly early in the morning so Justin could get some work done. That evening Kira came to visit us and get in some quality Aunt time with Sam. It was great to see her. She's been busy with the start of the season for the Tacoma Farmer's Market, which she manages, and we are really looking forward to going down with Sam when the weather is nicer (maybe this week!).

Wednesday I went and saw Mission Impossible 3 and took Sam with me. There were only 2 other people in the theater, so I was not worried. Sam did great and slept most of the time, although he woke up and cried a couple of times towards the end, but he was just hungry. I fed him and he went right back to sleep. After the movie I wasn't quite ready to come home, so I headed over to Borders since there was a new Jeffrey Deaver book I wanted. I ended up with a stack of books, and I got to visit with Andrea, who I used to work with at the Bellevue store when I worked at Borders. It was fun to show off Sam to one of my old co-workers, and got a few good books which she recommended to me. Andrea is the queen of SciFi/Romance/Mystery and always has great recommendations!

Since we've had Sam, we've had to run our dishwasher almost every day to keep all the bottles and dishes clean. It is pretty run down and has been falling out of the wall a little bit, now it's making scary noises when it starts up that make me wonder every time that we run it if it's going to be the last time. So, we went to Best Buy on Friday and bought a new dishwasher. It's going to be delivered on Wednesday, and we're looking forward to not worrying about that anymore. While we were there, we both drooled over the washers and dryers and refridgerators, but we decided that we should wait until we move to get a new fridge, and with the size of our apartment we can't fit a washer or dryer bigger than what we have now.

Saturday I got to have some much needed time by myself. I went out to the fabric store and to the movies with Brooke. We discovered a Landmark Theater by her house that has independant and 2nd run movies for only $3! We checked it out and it was nice. We went and saw Kinky Boots. It was really good, just like Kira said after she saw it, funny and heartwarming, and a really interesting story.

Sunday I took Sam to book club and he slept almost the entire time! It was crazy. We got to see Macaela again, she is very cute and her hair is the prettiest shade of auburn. She and her sister are going to be such a cute pair of girls. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them now that I am more used to having Sam around and feel like I'm able to get out to join the other moms for play dates and things that happen in the mornings.

Only 16 days until Aunt Becky is in town visiting - we are so excited to see her, and I'm very excited for her to meet Sam.

Sam is being very good right now about letting us get some rest. For the last week or so he's been sleeping usually from midnight or so until between 9 and noon, just waking up to eat and for diaper changes. He gets fussy every once in a while and wants to be held, but usually I can go back to sleep with him cuddled up on top of me. It's great to be able to actually get some sleep and Justin and I have been doing pretty well with trading off so we both get several hours in a row. Usually I go to bed around 12 or 1 and Justin takes care of Sam during the night, then I take over covering his feedings etc sometime in the morning around 7 or so and Justin gets some sleep. He's eating a lot, and definitely looking like a baby now instead of a newborn. He's got little pudgy cheeks, and his eyes are big and wide. We have a doctor appointment tomorrow, so we'll get to see how much weight he's gained.

Sam has also started to respond to his first toy. I noticed that a lot of the rattling toys we had you have to shake them pretty hard or quickly to get them to make noise, so when I tried to show them to Sam he couldn't really focus on them since I had to shake them so much to get his attention. We went to the store and got another rattle that has a plastic ball that spins so I can shake it or spin it to make noise, and Sam will actually look at it and stare and stop what he's doing. It's such a little thing, but so exciting. He's starting to smile more at random times, and I can't wait for the day he looks at me and smiles and I can tell he's actually smiling at me. He's also cooing more, which is so cute and exciting for us. I love just spending time with him when he's awake - he's so alert. Every day I'm glad that I decided to stay home with Sam instead of going back to work. At this point he's not even doing that much, and he's only awake for a quarter of the day most of the time, but I would hate to miss any of it!

Justin may be going out of town for the first time since Sam was born. People he work with want him to come to Phoneix for some training for two or three days, and it's possible he'll go as soon as this Wednesday. I feel both prepared and unprepared at the same time. I know that I can take care of Sam by myself, and I can get out of the house and get to Brooke and Dave's whenever I want to. Mostly I'm worried about just being so tired because I'll have to get up with Sam every single time he's up. It's amazing how eight hours of sleep is less restful when you have to get up three times for a half hour or whatever. It will be hard to spend that much time with the baby without any breaks, so I'm sure that I'll need a little bit of a break when Justin gets back. In any case, it'll certainly be an adventure, and we'll see how it goes.

Well, I think this has gotten long enough, and I'm going to go and snooze for a couple of minutes while Sam is napping right now. I will try to post more often, it seemed like this week was particularly busy for some reason, but I'm not sure why. I'll be back soon with more stories of Sam!

No comments: