December 1, 2011

Writer's Workshop: Five Things

Thursday's here again (Hey, it's December!), which means it is time for Mama Kat's World Famous Writer's Workshop!  If one of the prompts involve lists, the odds of me choosing that one go up exponentially, because, well, I have a little bit of a love affair with lists.  So, this week, I chose #2:

Five Things. List 5 things we don’t know about you, 5 things you’re knowledgeable about, 5 things you know nothing about, and 5 things you believe. (inspired by LouLou’s Views)

Five things you don't know about me...
  1.  When I was four years old, I broke my collarbone.  Did you know that the collarbone is the most commonly broken bone in the human body?  I was taking a nap on the couch and rolled off and landed wrong.  I do not remember it, just a vague, dreamlike memory of doctors in scrubs.
  2. If I could do any job in the world, I would perform in Broadway musicals.  Specifically, I would like to star in Rent, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Les Miserables.  (Bonus tidbit:  I know all the words to Jesus Christ Superstar, Rent, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  And most of the words to Evita).
  3. My biggest celebrity crush is on Alan Rickman.  It only grew 100 fold after he became Snape.
  4. I played the piano for 6 years, from 6th grade to high school.  I wish I had never stopped, and really want to learn again someday.
  5. When I was 18, I worked in a fish filet processing factory through a temp service.  It was refrigerated and freezing cold.  There were two jobs - laying out refrigerated filets flat layer upon layer to freeze, then later boxing the frozen filets into boxes that weighed a certain weight.  At the end of the day, I would undress on the back porch before going inside because of the smell.  I gained a HUGE respect for people who do jobs like that daily for years.
Five things I know a lot about...
  1. Getting hired.  I know how to write a good resume and cover letter, and what NOT to write when you're applying for a job.  I also know the 'right' answers to most interview questions.
  2. Nail Polish.  Okay, you guys, I have become a bit of a polish addict lately.  I blame pinterest.  For showing me things.  And leading me to blogs about nail polish.  I am pretty good at it.  I like to post pictures on Facebook if you're interested.
  3. Books.  I am pretty knowledgable about books compared to the average guy on the street.  I worked in a book store for 3 years and am an avid reader, and am also interested in books as a subject.
  4. The X-Files.  Yeah, I was a bit of a super fan.  What of it?!  We all have our weird obsessions, right?
  5. Being a smartass.  Just ask my Mom.
Five things I am in the dark about...
  1. Wine.  I know nothing about wine.  I don't really like it, and when I have to buy a bottle I generally ask for help & take an employee's word wherever I am OR shop by the label.  So, if I ever give you a bottle, it may suck.  You've been warned.
  2. Fishing.  I've never been fishing.  I don't really ever want to go fishing either.
  3. The stock market.  I just don't know.  I had to take a class about this stuff in business school.  I am not sure how I passed.
  4. Being a good salesperson.  I have worked retail, and I can do that.  But I am NOT a good sales person.  If I ever had to work a job that depended on commissions, I would probably starve to death because I wouldn't make enough to buy myself dinner.
  5. Fixing Cars.  When I was younger, I changed my own oil (with my Stepdad's help) a few times.  I can re-fill the windshield wiper fluid.  That's about it.
Five things I believe...
  1. People are generally good, compassionate, and helpful.  Yes, there are jerks and thieves and sociopathic jerks.  But the majority of people will be there for you when you need them, and lend a helping hand if they can.
  2. I believe that as human beings, we have a responsibility to be good to each other.  I think it is incredibly important in life to consider what we can do to help other people.  This is one reason I have so much trouble with people who are extremely rich and not willing to give back a little more to help those who do not have anything.  
  3. Bread and cheese are the best foods ever.  They are good in any language.  Fondue, quesadillas, garlic bread with cheese, cheese and crackers, pizza, grilled cheese...  I could live on it.
  4. The way we view birth in this country is really messed up.  We need more midwives, more education, and better information for all girls who turn into women who have babies.  We need to teach girls that we have amazing bodies that can do amazing things.
  5. I have the best Mom in the world.  She is a support and a friend to me, but lets me choose my own way and isn't pushy.  She loves my kids to pieces and they love her so much that if she is around, Danny wants her to put him to bed instead of me.  She is smart, funny, and taught me how to be sarcastic like a champion.  She makes a killer pecan pie.  I could really write a whole blog post just about her - maybe I will!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

So glad to find another Snape enthusiast! I love that man. Have you seen him in Bottleshock? 

Kristy Lorenzen said...

Love the smart ass comment!  And, bread and cheese, mmmmmm.  I'd rather have that than chocolate any day.

Melissa said...

Love #4 in your last list. I totally agree. I should have gone the midwife / doula route. And did I read that correctly? A fish fillet factory?? Wowers. That sounds freakin' cold, dude. I bet you have some stories... 

Susan Williams said...

I loved your list! I'd love to comment on so many of the things you've said, but I'll try to limit myself to one thing. That fish job. Wow! Would it be tough to do that one's whole life or WHAT?!
Once my husband worked sound on a video shoot at a pig breeding farm. When he got there, HE had to shower to be allowed to go in and see the pigs! LOL! Think about THAT! (The idea was that if a visitor carried in a contaminant that it could spread like WILDFIRE through the entire pig population.) When he left the pigs, he had showered again, because, well, the aroma was UNBELIEVABLE, he said. So, when he got home late that night, I was already in bed asleep. We were newlyweds, and I couldn't wait to snuggle up to him: I'd missed him so much! He decided to shower AGAIN, just to be safe, to be sure he had gotten the smell off, it was so pervasive. So when he finally came to bed, I spooned up behind him, and wrapped my arm around him, to hold him close. As I lay my head next to his, ready to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of my beloved, my nose, which happened to be near his ear went into RED ALERT status. While the rest of his skin smelled soapy and clean, from his inner ear came an odor so noxious, so permeating, so searing, that I squealed aloud, "Oh, my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is that STENCH????"

And people work at their jobs at the pig breeding farm, every day, all day long. And their poor wives....

OK...I think this may be post-worthy. Boy, you sure did trigger a memory. Hope you don't mind me dredging it up. :-)

Susan Williams said...

I wrote something and linked back to you! Hope you get a click or two from it! http://wildlifeinthewoods.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-funny-how-one-thing-leads-to.html

Shirley said...

I also love to read. I love science-fiction. I am currently reading  Hush Hush by Becca Fritzpatrick. Laverne wants me to start reading The Hunger Gamre by 
 Suzanne Collins nxt...