December 9, 2011

Friday Fragments: Photos, Grizzlies, and Puns

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post.

Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

This week I was at Barnes & Noble and picked up the Newsweek 2011 Pictures of the Year issue. Flipping through the pages, there were some good photos. Then I turned the page and my breath was taken away.

Sept. 11
New York

On the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, America paused to remember the 2,819 lives lost that day. The May 1 killing of Osama bin Laden provided a note of resolution, but for many, like Robert Peraza, who lost his son Robert David Peraza in the attacks, the sorrow lives on.  (Photo by Justin Lane)

 I can't stop tears from coming to my eyes every single time I look at this photo. It is beautiful and sad and says so much. Source: The Daily Beast 

*****

On Tuesday I volunteered at Sam's school for a couple of hours helping re-label books for the new literacy program.  It was nice to sit around a table and chat with some other Moms.  I really love the system they have set up at his school, they send out an email whenever they need volunteers, and if you can participate, you just reply to the email.  It makes it so much easier for me since I don't feel like I can commit to a regular time or number of hours per week because of Danny and our changing schedule.  This way, I get word when there's need, and I can go if I'm free!

*****

Yesterday I discovered that you can listen to comedy on Pandora.  AWESOME!  So I made a Louis C.K. station and I LOVE it.  It was funny, I was listening in the car and at one point I was laughing and Danny started laughing just because I was.

*****

I just saw this photo on my computer, and it made me giggle.


*****

This weekend, I'm hoping to reorganize the garage so I can park the car inside again.  We haven't been able to since we moved our 2nd truck of stuff from the old place, and I'm coming out to frost on the windshield now.  If I was smart, I'd remember to go out and warm up the car, but I often don't and then my timing for taking Sam to school is messed up.

*****

I love Top Chef.  I used to write recaps sometimes, and when I look back they still make me giggle.  I don't feel like I have time now - I'm usually watching Danny while I'm watching it, so can't sit and type.  Is anyone else watching it?  Who are you rooting for?  I'm still not sure... although I know I hate Chris's hair.

*****

Yesterday I was listening to NPR and heard this commercial with Brad Pitt talking about saving Grizzly Bears.  It just threw me for a loop.  So weird.

*****

Did you know that there is such thing as a pun competition?  I am pretty sure I could just watch the videos on YouTube all day.  Here's the video of the 2011 winner of the O. Henry pun-off.



*****

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Kristin_The_Goat said...

The photo of the Father made me cry, too, but as this photo shows, even grief can sometimes be beautiful. 

The missile cat is a hoot! 
The volunteer by email system sounds like a great one.  I can hardly commit to things a week in advance, I hardly know what I'm doing today.

Sarah McConnell said...

I didn't know you could listen to comedy on Pandora! Uh oh. I may be in trouble.... I'll never get anything done. What the heck, laughter is good for you, right?

Profwaynewsmith said...

I am usually not into 'cute' pictures but that class fur ball one is great!

Kristen L. Reese said...

I love Louis CK. Whenever I need a pick me up, he is one of the comedians I seek out on Youtube. That picture of the cat is hilarious!

Martha Kasper said...

Stopping by from FF! The cat picture is too funny! I used to watch Top Chef, but have not in a few seasons. I should watch again, but then again, my DVR is already over worked!

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Oh, oh wow! I will confess that I didn't get any further than that first picture.  I lived just a quick train ride away on that day and my then husband was a mere 20 minutes away... that picture took my breath away...

QandleQueen said...

The cooking show I like is Chopped.  Haven't watched Top Chef, probably because I don't want to get sucked into another series.

tracismixedbag said...

That picture is quite intense. I love Top Chef but for some reason I have not been able to get into it this season. Not sure why. Really nice puns.

Teresa Dawn said...

I can't use Pandora because I'm Canadian :( Too bad.  That picture of the cat is hilarious though!!

unknownmami said...

You are right, that picture says so very much; it's hard not to be affected. Sort of gets you in the heart and gut at the same time.

Diane@Bestillaminute said...

That picture says so much, doesn't it?  

I've seen that hovering cat pic before...I think I have it pinned on pinterest.  Where are his legs?!  :D

smellyann said...

OMG. That pic of the dad is so powerful. I can't afford to cry or I'd get a migraine, or else I would. Luckily that silly cat cheered me up!