August 19, 2010

Friday Fragments: I manage to cook something edible

Mommy's Idea

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard. Collect humorous observations, "Heard" items, and other small gems and put them together in a Friday Fragments post. Friday Fragments are the brainchild of Mrs.4444 and you can find more at Half Past Kissin' Time.

*****

- So last Sunday evening Sam decided he wanted to play in the water in his turtle sandbox which awesomely doubles as a little pool when there's no sand in it. I went to get the hose from the side of the barn and guess what? Some flippin' wasps had nested under the thing that holds the coiled hose and I got stung. We have paper wasps everywhere around our house, and one of the things I don't like about them is that they build these little mini-nest things that can be really small, so they can be anywhere. I got stung on the boob. AND in my opposite armpit. Ouch. What the heck is with my luck - last summer I got stung in the butt when I sat on one. I managed to get the hose off the coil anyhow using a rake handle and Sam got to enjoy his pool. I might bring this up when I need a list of "things I've done for you" later on. I have had a credit card sized welt on my boob since then, it gets a little less swollen every day but it ITCHES like a mofo.

- I have a problem with the way everyone is so weird and freaked out about GERMS these days. Really? If you don't wash your hands every five minutes it's going to be okay. You don't need to use bleach wipes to sanitize your house. The latest thing that has been driving me mad is this:

Lysol decided that it is unacceptable for there to be germs on your handsoap pump. Here's what I don't get... isn't the only time you touch that pump right before you WASH YOUR HANDS, which would remove any germs anyway? Isn't this just freakishly excessive?

- Is anyone else totally skeeved out by the commercials for those Kool Aid Fizzer things? It shows the kid putting the fizzy tablet in the water then zooms in and there are all these weird creatures and stuff swimming around in there. It just gives me the willies.

- Justin and I got to go to the Northwest Washington Fair on Tuesday and wander around, see his nieces and ride their horses, and see Weird Al in concert. It was a lot of fun. And I got to eat a funnel cake, since I didn't start Weight Watchers again until Wednesday.

- Speaking of Weight Watchers, I started counting points again on Wednesday. If you know me, you know that I don't cook. Well, I decided that needs to change. I have our menus planned for the next 3 weeks and ingredients are already purchased for the next 2. I am doing things I've never done before, like cooking cuts of meat in a pan (not ground or stir fried). On Wednesday night, I made this:

Chicken Florentine

Chicken Florentine with whole wheat spaghetti - 1 serving, 9 points

Chicken Florentine with whole wheat spaghetti. Um, another thing about me - I HATE vegetables. I have never eaten them. BUT I need to, otherwise I won't really be that healthy. This was an assload of spinach to eat, for me. But you know what? It was actually good. Also, since there were 4 servings I stored the others individually in the fridge so Justin can just grab them to take to work for lunch, which is one of his challenges with losing weight. A successful first attempt. On Thursday I made quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas, refried beans, tomato, jalapeno, scallops and guacamole. They were good. My mom just fainted when she read that I ate beans.

- This was the final week of the 31 Days to Build a Better Blog challenge, and I totally plan to write a wrap-up post, but this week I didn't have a lot of time in the evenings for blogging somehow. I'll probably post it Monday.

10 comments:

lisleman said...

bad place for a bite. I go around looking for those nests and then destroy them.
I agree about the stupid handsoap pump. Just another way for them to increase the profit margin. Maybe the fizzy ad people should get together with the hand pump people.
That looks good - I like spinach in pizza and other dishes. I'm guessing your mom didn't serve veggies much.

Mrs4444 said...

How in the world have we survived as long as we have, without hand sanitizer?!

Looks like you are making some healthy choices. Good for you :) I'm using SparkPeople.com, which I think is a lot like WW, only FREE! I'm learning a lot and keeping track of what I eat and how much I exercise. So far, I've lost six pounds and am keeping at it. Good luck to you :)

Thanks for linking up! Have a great weekend.

momofminion said...

Eww, we have wasp problems, too. I've been lucky and haven't been stung yet, but that's probably because I don't really like being outside :)

Haven't seen the kool-aid commercial, but I'll make sure to keep an eye out for it. We don't watch a lot of kid shows yet and when we do we tape them and fast-forward through the commercials. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on all the neat ads!

Happy Friday!

Gracepec said...

Dinner looks good, is the recipe online anywhere?

Ediehope said...

As soon as I come to from my bean FAINTING incident, I'm going to take my glass of Kool Aid and stick it under that touch free hand sanitizer to kill all of those creepy little creatures in my drink.

doreen mcgettigan said...

Oh I feel so bad for you! Did you take some benedryl or something for your stings? I am so allergic I probably would have died.
I am totally agitated with all the germ bull. People are so stupid it is like a trillion dollar business when soap and water works just fine. When my kids were small they maybe got sick once a year. My grand children are always sick and always sick with weird scary sounding things like myrsa and hand, foot and mouth disease. Seriously; these kids need to eat some dirt..have a little smoke blown in their faces (just kidding about that one) but really enough already.
Have a positive weekend and I hope your stings go away quickly!

EverydayKathy said...

Hello fellow fragmenter! (I play on my Everyday Mommy blog) I can't stand all that stupid antibacterial germ phobic stuff... you have just giving me a great idea for my next rant post! I'll be sure to thank you publicly!

So sorry about the bee stings! My three year old just got her first sting. She was far braver then I would have been.

Good job on the cooking responsible meals... we must get going on that one in our house!

home4ever said...

I think you need some germs.

A friend of mine has a sparkling clean house- you choke on the bleach smell... they are ALWAYS sick over there.

My house leaves a lot to be desired, but we rarely get sick. We're immune to the germs :-)

Visiting from Friday Frags- have a great weekend!

www.comeonhome.net

makingitworkmom said...

So I have to confess that we totally have the lysol hands free soap dispenser- you know full disclosure and all. I bought in the hope that the sheer novelty would coax my children into washing their hands more. That probably lasted about 1 week- oh well.
My husband also claims that he LIKES vegetables, but he chooses not to eat them because it would occupy space that is reserved for things like meat and ice cream!

Rachael1013 said...

Well, she ate them, but I didn't. My parents didn't really force me to eat
that much, and I was definitely always WAY more into fruit.

As an adult, I sort of stopped eating them and even when I went on Weight
Watchers the first time (before this pregnancy), I would stick mostly to
bell peppers and zucchini. I like the idea of spinach on pizza though!